MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:00 PM

Intro and question about mill/drills

My name is Nick and I'm just getting into knife making, but have a lot of the tools already from various other hobbies (woodworking, brewing beer, cars, guns, etc.). I have a couple belts sanders (a 1X30 HF model, and a 4X36, not the ideal 2x72 unfortunately), angle grinder, chop saw, Dremel, files, lathe, etc. but what I have never acquired over the years is a drill press. It has come to my attention that this is an extremely useful tool when doing stock removal knives like I plan on doing.

After researching, I am wondering if I should just get a grizzly GO407, or grizzly GO463 mill/drill. I like the idea of having the additional features of a mill, but there are so many options it's hard to choose. Should I stick with grizzly or look at Jet? Any help is appreciated!

A big thank you to all who run this forum, it is truly is a top notch place, and has a wealth of information for helping newbies such as myself get started in the craft.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 11-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Skilled

All you need is a basic drill press, I use a craftsman from sears. A high end mill/drill press can be very useful, but isn't necessary and seems like a big investment for someone just getting into knifemaking. IMO, if you're going to spend the money anyways, it would be better to get a basic drill press and spend big bucks on a good belt grinder.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You do need a good drill press but I agree with Hunter - spend the big bucks on a 2x72. I have a Grizzly G7943 - that's a 12 speed bench top press. I like the 12 speed because it is physically large and extremely rigid. This can be important for some handle drilling efforts and very important if you ever get to the point where you want to make folders. The larger press gives you room to use a cross slide vise.

I also have a mill drill. Even though it will drill holes using it for that purpose is nowhere near as easy as using a drill press. Use a mill for milling, get a drill press for drilling....and get a 2x72 as soon as you can...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-20-2015, 11:46 PM

Well, after giving it some thought, I think I'll go for the 2x72 grinder after all. Looking at a bader b3, but trying to decide if I should go all out and get the 2 hp variable, or if the 1.5 hp single speed would suffice. Any advice?
Old 11-21-2015, 12:30 AM
Hall of Famer

You can never have too much power and variable speed comes in handy.

Doug

Old 11-21-2015, 08:24 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Variable speed is a HUGE plus ......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
2x72, advice, angle, belt, belts, choose, craft, craftsman, drill, files, grinder, guns, helping, hunter, knife, knife making, knifemaking, knives, making, mill, notch, press, stock removal, tools