MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 09-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast

Is "thread wear" a myth?

I have been reading this forum for almost a year now, and I know that the resident experts here recommend that you use a stitching groover to lower your stitches from the surface of the leather and thus prevent "thread wear."

About a year ago, I made myself a wallet and did not take the time to put the stitches in a groove. The major seams are exposed on the outside of the wallet. I used standard three-strand waxed nylon thread from Tandy.

Yesterday I took a hard look at the wallet and noticed that there was no (and I mean "no" 8o ) thread wear whatsoever, despite the fact that I estimate this wallet has gone in and out of my back pocket about a thousand times. Plus, it has to ride around in there and take the stress associated with sitting, walking, etc.

So my question is this: Is thread wear just a myth? If not, could someone share with me their experiences with a sheath, saddle, wallet, etc. that displayed this problem? Under what conditions did the thread wear occur? I guess I am just having a hard time believing that this problem really happens....

(But I am sure someone here will set me straight before I throw away my stitching groover!)

Thanks, -Alex
Old 09-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I personally don't think thread wear is a myth at all. A knife scabbard, particularly one that is worn often, will encounter much more abuse to the threads than any wallet you'll every carry. You wallet will generally be inside a pocket, which means it will be protected by whatever material type your pants are made of........where as a scabbard is exposed to much harsher conditions. From constant rubbing on the inside of a jacket wasitband, to being raked through brush and limbs when your out hunting/fishing, or just about any other rough surface that you might come into contact with.

There was a time when I had similar thoughts, but, I carried a scabbard, which I did not recess the stitching for about 1/2 of an Arkansas bow season, and had thread that was nearly worn through before I caught it. After that I built a new scabbard with the thread recessed in a groove, and the scabbard is still holding up fine......after 15 years.

It might seem like extra work to recess the stitching in a scabbard, but it does a couple of things...... It certainly protects the stitches, making them last indefinetley, but just as important, it gives the scabbard a professional, finished look. Many savvy knife buyers will look at the scabbard/sheath just as hard as they will look at the knife. I have heard comments from buyers who would not purchase a knife from a particular maker because the scabbard did not have the stitching recessed. When I asked them about their comments, the response was..... "If he didn't take the time and effort to make a proper sheath, then what short cuts did he take on the knife?" I never told them, but I agree.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 09-26-2004, 12:39 AM
Living Legend

Very well put, Ed! It's not about the easier way, it's about the best way.......
Old 09-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Ed - very well put especially from a top line knife maker. Quality knife sheaths are still an after thought/poor relation to many buyers.

Alex- as Ed stated a wallet in comparison to a sheath sees much less direct wear. As to thread wear - other things factor in as well such as type of thread (many old commercial sheaths used unwaxed cotton thread), type of usage, and one of the bigget factors how well cared for. Over 43 years of working leather I have repaired literally thousands of pieces of leather from wallets to saddles and the number one need was stitch repair.

But it was still a valid question....so thanks for asking,

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input, fellas. I don't mind doing it if there is a functional reason (aside from embellishment and just making things look "pretty"). I certainly don't want my sheaths to fall apart, so I will keep on making grooves for those stitches.

Take care, -Alex
Old 09-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't mind doing it if there is a functional reason (aside from embellishment and just making things look "pretty").
Alex - think about that if you're selling or going to be selling - "pretty" is what attracts the customer's eye. As some once said it's all in the presentation.

Think in terms of food - pretty (not just for pretty's sake of course - form MUST follow function) is "eye candy" - good chefs know and do "present" their food - it will of course eat the same no matter the presentation but if it looks good as well as tastes good increases ones appreciation and that tends to open the customer pocket book!

It doesn't have to ne much - a simple border line or two for instance really enhances ones work and takes it that next step - simple and easy to do but it adds loads to the "look" and again that is what catches ones eye.
A couple of examples - plain and simple - yet in my experience that single border line gives it that finishing that can make a big difference when selling:

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast

Points well-taken and appreciated, Chuck. And thanks for sharing the above photos. Beautiful work.

Tags
knife