MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Enthusiast

10" Disc or 6x48 Belt Sander

Harbor Freight's circular that came out this week has a 15% discount coupon on it, so it's probably time to add something to my equipment. They have a 10" Disc grinder that's 74.95, and a 12" for $99, and they have their 6x48" belt grinder that comes with a 9" disc that goes for $209. I hate to spend the extra $$$ if there is no real benefit in getting the 6x48, as I already have a 4x36 that has a 6" disc on it. I also have a 2x72 Griz that I have been using for almost all the things I used the 4x36 for. I also have a two 1 (and 2") x 42" Craftsman belt sanders. So, which would be better to get ... or, would neither be any more useful than what I have already?
Thanks in advance,
Bob
Old 04-24-2007, 01:43 AM
Master

Hi Bob, I'm not in the market for those types of tools, but I'd check and make sure it was easy to get the right abrasives for them.
Good luck, Craig
Old 04-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Hall of Famer

Neither. What will those do that your 2x72 or 42-inchers won't do? You'll just need to buy expensive disks (10") or you'll have a belt sander with limited belt options (6x48) and in the end you'll just use your 4x36 (which you probably already have belts for) for wood and micarta and the 2x72 for metal.

So in the end, you'll buy a nice little ornament for the shop. If you have the jingle in your pocket, put it toward 2x72 belts or other supplies. Or just put it away for a rainy day. Or if you really need a larger disk sander, check out Rob Frink's beveled 9 inch wheel.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I have a Grizzly 6x48" sander with a 12" disk. The 6x48" gets used a couple of times per year when I have an exceptionally knarly wpiece of wood that I want to square up - the big 24 grit belt is great for that. I never, and I repeat, NEVE use the 12" disk. In fact, I had a stand alone 12" disk that I got rid of about two years ago. Some guys love them but to me they are worthless.

You didn't mention any saws on your tool list so if you don't have a metal saw the same $$$ will get you one. A 14" wood saw is great too but will cost a bit more. HF even has a teensy little lathe for $250 and a mill in the $300 range. Seems like any of those would be far more useful that another sander ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks all! I won't waste the $$$ on either of these tools, and as I already have a good metal cutting band saw, and a good wood band saw, and the HF micro-mill already, and have no desire for a lathe, I think I'll just get some more of the basics that you can never have too much of --- belts, steel, wood, nickle-silver and some brass, or just save the $$$ until I can get a KMG.
Thanks again,
Bob