MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Skilled

Hey Mike,

It's 303 stainless, not 330. 303 is a common grade of stainless steel. It's called "free machining", but I imagine that's appropriate when compared to 304 which is nasty. It is low carbon and does not harden, and I doubt that there is carbon migration. Mike (and I believe Devin) use it as the bright contrast element in the steel. The 19c27 and D2 both darken (can't tell one from the other on the finished blade), while the 303 remains shiny for contrast.

It etches beautifully in ferric chloride. Etchant should be warm and the blade finished brighter than you normall would for carbon damascus. Doesn't take as long as carbon either. After I've etched it I go to my finishing buff with a fine white alumina compound and VERY LIGHTLY put the steel to the buffer. It helps accentuate the contrast.

Don, when you heat treat it use Norris' numbers. One thing I found out is that it tended to warp slightly when hung to cool, so I now take the blade in the foil baggie, turn around to my mill, and clamp the whole thing in the vise. Forty pounds of iron suck the heat out quickly and the ground jaws help keep it straight. I think you will like the way this steel looks on your knife. On this pagehttp://www.david.broadwell.com/techno.htm the top knife has tight ladder (he makes ladder with more space between the rungs) and the third knife has "Snakeskin" on the blade and handle.

I have a couple of Big Gulp tabs going.

David
Old 04-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Hall of Famer

OK, David. I'm familiar with 303 ss.

I always plate quench my blades so they are kept straight by the heavy steel plates just as your vise does.

I was hoping he could furnish the best HT formula, so you've answered that question.

How do you want your big gulps delivered? I'm not going to Blade.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Skilled

Your plates will work nicely, Don. Norris will give you the numbers. He always write them on the steel with a marker.

I'm not going to Blade either. I'll start a tab. We'll cross paths some day By then I might owe you a BG.

After you make this button lock folder, we need to see pictures of the finished product.

David
Old 04-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I'll post photos here.

You know, sometimes I take an order for a custom knife and after it's made I don't really like it myself, but the owner is tickled with it.

I'm kind of anxious to get started on this one because it'll have the very best of materials in it. He wants a spear point similar to a William Henry spear point though, and I like a clip or wharncliff shape better.

Anyways, "The customer is always right." Maybe I'll change my mind when it's done.

I just sent a folder to a soldier in Korea and one to Ireland before that.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Master

Thanks for the info on 303 Don and David. (There's another BG to the collection. )

With 1095/Ni, I like the contrast but yeah...not so great user. I'd like to try this mix as just to compare it to the AEB-L variant since the properties are similar. Devin's steel has been great for us so I've accumulated a modest stockpile which I'm slowly getting through. (He come out with experimental bars that just keep motivating me to buy/horde. ) Mike Norris damascus...hmm...me want too. (Cookie Monster in mind when I type that.)

Will be looking forward to pics when it's done.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Hall of Famer

To be continued later.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Skilled

I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished. I recently got an order that requires stainless damascus, so this is a very helpful thread

Trenton

Old 05-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Hall of Famer

I talked to mike Norris on the phone and he said he'd send me photographs and a price list of his stainless damascus, but I haven't received anything from him.

I tried Devin and he's out of stock and suggested Texas Knifemakers Supply. Everything they had was at a show. They called me this morning and I got a piece of Devin Thomas SS Reptilian pattern. They had to wait for their stock to be shipped back from the show and I was first in line.

Anyways, I finally will have the damascus my customer wants.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Hall of Famer

This knife is going to a huge and heavy thang. 4" blade and damascus bolsters. My button lock design, but it's so large I made a new design and am working on a prototype now. Same design elements for the lock, but a spear point blade and different handle shape.

Tags
blade, knife, knives