MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Guru

18th Batson Blade Symposium

I've been trying to find more specific information on this and can't seem to find it. I went to the AFC site and didn't see a link to it, or any past ones as well. I found several references on other sites...some having different dates listed. Does anyone here have a link to a website specific for this event, or know the nitty gritty details (date, cost...etc)?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:13 AM

Don,

If no one else has the info, I have a copy of the AFC BoB and it has the info listed in there some where. I'll look it up tonight when I get home (Late).

Bob Sigmon
Old 01-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
The only reference I could find is on the ABS site......which has contact information. I would recommend contacting Mr. Linn.

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ABS_Events.htm

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Steel Addict

Here's the information I was emailed a little while back:

Put this on your Calendars.

Jim Batson

The Alabama Forge Council is proud to invite you to the 18th Annual Batson Bladesmithing Symposium and Knife Show conducted at Tannehill State Park near Bessemer, Alabama on the 7-9 April 2006.

ABS Master Smiths, Tim Foster and James Cook are the featured Demonstrators. Other Demonstrators will be Don Fogg, Alex Daniels, Chuck Patrick, Steve Schwarzer, Jerry Fisk, Jimmy Fikes, Tim Ridge, Joe Keeslar. B R Hughes, Neal Faulkenberry, Tommy McNabb , Billy Bates, Jesse House, Mel Pardue and Wayne Whitley.

Registration is on Thursday afternoon with Demonstrators Dinner at 7 pm.

Start at 8 am on Friday and is over at noon on Sunday. Cutting on Friday night, knife show and auction after noon on Saturday. Sword heat treating with Don Fogg & Chuck Patrick on Saturday night.

Tail Gate Sales & venders are welcome. Camping is available. Checkout the AFC web site for details.

On Friday night there will be an Alabama Forge Council Cutting Challenge with a High Performance Tactical Field Knife of your design and making. Everyone including Ed Fowler is invited to participate.

Forged and stock removal blades will be accepted if they are made by the cutter. Commercially made or mass produced knives are not allowed.

High Performance Tactical Field Knife & Rules for Alabama Forge Council 2006 Cutting Challenge.

Entry Requirements:

1. This cutting competition is opened to anyone that has made the knife used.
2. Each competitor must be registered as a full paid attendee.
3.The decision of the judges shall be final.
4. Each participant shall sign a waiver releasing the AFC from any accident or insurance liability.
5. Person should be 18 years of age or older.

High Performance Tactical Field Knife Specifications;

-Maximum Blade Length - 8 inches
-Maximum Blade Width - 1.5 inches
-Maximum Knife Length - 13 inches
-Double Guard required
-Lanyard & Lanyard hole at pommel
-Handle visibly pinned or attached to Tang

I'm expecting to get the the flier in the mail sometime soon with more information (actual classes). Are you planning on going this year Don? Cost in the past has been $125.

Jamie

jamie@polarbearforge.com
Old 01-26-2006, 01:35 PM

Jamie,

Thanks for posting the info. That is exactly what is the the AFC magazine.

Man I wish that I could go. As always that one heck of a list of demonstrators.

Bob Sigmon
Old 01-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
cutting comp

Jerry Fisk gave us a heads up on the type of blade for the competition at the fall hammer-in. At least one smith (can't remember who) said he wasn't going to compete for safety reasons......what those are beyond the normal ones, like amputating your leg during the hanging rope cut, I can't imagine. i may forge up something ugly and embarrass myself.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Guru

Thanks for all the info! It looks like a great place to be and I'm going to try like heck to get there. I'm currently working as project manager for a decomissioning project as well as assisiting with two other projects, all of them out of town/state, with extremely variable schedules. Hopefully by mid March I'll know my exact schedule and can lay down some definite plans. It'll probably take some major smoothing over with my wife also.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

jdm61,

The smith that wasn't going to compete because of safety reasons might have been me. Others might feel the same way. By making the rule the knife must have a double cross guard raises potential problems.

What my concerns are is if a heavy use knife is built with a hidden tang a maker must be very careful about several details. The tang needs to be soft. A hardned tang is more likely to break during a heavy chop.

The shoulders that are formed to seat a cross guard need to be radiused rather than 90 degree angles so a stress riser is less likely to occure. If the guard seat is not done correctly this is a potentially weak area.

An expirenced bladesmith should know this but cutting competitions are by design attracting new makers. New bladesmiths might not know how attatching a guard can negatively effect the strenght of a knife. Properly done hidden tang cutlery have proven for hundreds of years that they will hold up under extreme conditions but not properly done it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Another thing is that stock removal knives are going to be allowed. Generally I think this is an outstanding idea. However with the rule about the double cross guard (hidden tangs) they will now have hardned tangs. All the stock removal makers I have personally talked to are using steels that are air hardening, therefore the tangs cannot be drawn soft after hardening the blade.

I won't even get started with the debate about front retaining thongs verses rear mounted thongs. This is a safety issue about the cutters not the spectators and will be reported in an upcoming issue of Knives Illustrated.

I spoke with Joe Keesler and Jim Batson about my concerns. Jim is reviewing the new rules for the Alabama hammer-in and if I get any new information I will post it.

Daniel
Old 01-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Steel Addict

Dan, Thanks for bringing my attention to the thong at the pommel. I was going to try to make an integral, ala CHris Derringer, but that is out on the thong hole being located there. Who brought that into being. Every one that I know has always known that the tong is safer at the butt cap. As Jerry Fisk would say, the helicopter effect.
I hope to see you there as I am going anyway, wouldn't miss it. I might put two tongs on mine.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:33 AM
Master

I hope to be there ...I have always enjoyed my times at the symposium...this last year has flown!

Just one thing about the cutting knife specs.....I am making a couple of prototypes, but the 1 1/2inch blade width rule seems to throw my designs off.......visualy, my 8 inch blades just seems to want to be slightly wider....another 1/4 inch would just about do it...

Its going to be interesting to see the designs and what the cutting tasks are going to be.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast

Jerry might have a point about the "Helicopter" effect. It is possible that an out of control knife would spin more if the thong hole is located closer to the center of the knife.

However, you are much less likely to lose control of your knife with a front thong. Using a rear thong I have seen many cases where a cutter has lost grip and had to reposition his hand during a cut. This is both dangerous and loses time. I have never, or ever seen a cutter lose grip with a front thong hole. If tightened down properly your grip is more secure. Much like competitive rifle shooting with a sling.

Would you rather have a car that protects you during a crash or a car that is designed to avoid a crash before it happens.

Daniel

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, knife, knives