MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 07-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Hall of Famer

[QUOTE=rhrocker]
Guys, are there any "plans" or tutorials out there for making these types of knives? Don, do you have something up your sleeve? I want to try one. After handling Johnnys, this is a "must try to build" knife on my list.[/QUOTE]

Robert, as I said in one of my posts above, I don't know what a "D/A" is. I've never handled one. I wish someone would enlighten me. Maybe Johnny will send me one of his.

That said, yes, I have detailed plans for a button release folder on my web site, and pictures of one of the knives I've built to that design. I like it.

I have to send these plans out by mail since I lost my high speed cable. I'm on dial-up now.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhrocker
Johnny, that's for the clarification, I know now that you told me it was a Zodiac, I have lots of senior moments lately ) Please come back and stay a month!
Guys, are there any "plans" or tutorials out there for making these types of knives? Don, do you have something up your sleeve? I want to try one. After handling Johnnys, this is a "must try to build" knife on my list.
-----

Robert, I talked to Gene last night and we are trying to set a date to do a DA auto video soon, using my push button mechanism. Actually, it's a variation of Larry Chew's Voodoo. I have tentative date scheduled for later this month, or later in August, to re-shoot the Liner Lock video. If time allows we may try to shoot the DA video at the same time.

Old 07-06-2004, 07:14 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Thanks

Thanks guys, that one takes me back, just looking at it.
Yes Robert, we have something under our sleeve.
I'm still trying to get Johnny to add that D/A of his on the video list,"coming soon".
Old 07-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Steel Addict

Gene, That Is A Magnificent Knife You Made For Coop.
Coop, You Are Very Fortunate To Own Such A Great
Knife. Happy For Both Of You!

Lynn Drury
Old 07-08-2004, 02:38 AM
Registered

Talking Double Coil Spring

Here is one of Gene's double coil spring automatics. It has quite a kick. Sorry the photography pales in comparison to SharpByCoop's pic.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Skilled

Don, I am not sure if your question is serious or not, but a D/A is for double action. It means an automatic that can be opened and closed without the use of the "spring" (or whatever mechanism) like a regular folder and also in automatic mode. If the "button" or whatever is hidden, in a torx screw or bolster or something that is not an obvious button. then it's a hidden release, and like a chinese menu you can mix and match

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 07-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Oksman
Don, I am not sure if your question is serious or not, but a D/A is for double action. It means an automatic that can be opened and closed without the use of the "spring" (or whatever mechanism) like a regular folder and also in automatic mode. If the "button" or whatever is hidden, in a torx screw or bolster or something that is not an obvious button. then it's a hidden release, and like a chinese menu you can mix and match

Thanks, Jerry. I was serious about not knowing. I was never interested in auto's until a customer asked me to build him one. I took his commission, did some research, and designed my present model. He and I were both pleased with the result and i've since built another one. Pictures of it are on my web site.

I'd like to know how a D/A works or handle one. I'm intrigued by the concept , but unable to visualize the mechanism. With my button release mechanism, there's no way to overide the button lock and open the knife unless the button is pushed.

I'm familiar with a scale release, but don't trust the design to be as rugged as other folders.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Skilled

Hi Don,

The D/A I have is a Microtech LCC (lightfoot compact combat) it uses a leaf spring mechanism (back spacer /spring) and it kicks the blade open (hitting the back of the blade) when the bolster is pushed to the side. The bolster just moves a small lever out of the way of the spring. aftert opening this way, closing the blade pushes the spring back into "ready" position. The blade however can open without the spring assist, just like a regular linerlock.

I have to say that I am not a knifemaker and while what I wrote here makes sense to me, I'm not sure if a am explaining it correctly.

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 07-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks, Jerry. I understand a little better now.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast

I have to agree with Rich. I like just about all automatic knives, however, I do have a preference for really well made custom pieces. One thing that does it for me is a hidden release mechanism, especially on a double action piece. The only thing that can top that is a hidden release double action that's a good candidate for a full blown engraving job.
Rob

Old 07-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Skilled

Hey Rob.. .., good to see ya!

Yeah I love the hidden release D/A's also, but I do like a well made scale release as well.

Some great stuff on your site also!

Boy I can't wait to see that piece Ken Steigerwalt is making for you!

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 07-28-2004 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to metalking00
Mine is like this, but the scales are more elegant.

real quick action, and it goes in too! lol
Old 09-15-2004, 04:15 AM
Registered

Hi guys. This forum caught my eye. You're showing off some nice ones. Please don't laugh, but my favorite switchblade is in the pattern I collect: The Tickler, or texas toothpick. It's a very old Imperial Hammer candy stripe, in almost mint condition. I carry it daily. I'd love to have a nice custom made one with Pearl Handles, maybe someday.

I also have a Philip Booth, very tiny switch. A side note: Phil is the coolest dressed and most gentlemanly maker I've ever met! And I like how at most shows, his display table is elevated. Sorry to deviate from the subject.

Nice to meet you all!

Grace
Old 09-17-2004, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast

Here's a MT LCC D/A that I had Reese Weiland 'dress up'..........

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

LIFE/ENDOWMENT/PATRON NRA MEMBER
Old 09-22-2004, 12:24 AM

My fav auto

For a long time Ive always loved the scale release autos especially DALTON!
I have 4 otf 2 italian stilettos and 3 coil fired...My fav still scale release

Tags
blade, knife, knives, switchblade