MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:39 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

Post Favorite style autos

Just curious to know what your favorite auto knives are.
I'm partial to scale release autos myself.
Intregued by D/a's eventhough I'v never made one I would sell.
Push buttons were my least favorite, but it was the locking mechanism that disturbed me.
I like a stronger lock.
I guess most are liner lock types, because they are fairly easy to make(another not so favorite of mine).
Out the fronts are slick, but few have the kick I like.Microtech has impressed me in this style.
I don't see many bolster releases, but I sure like them.
Anyone seen a wind up auto?
A handle cocking auto?
I want to hear from other auto lovers.
Alex has blessed us with a new playground to talk about an old taboo!
Old 07-01-2004, 04:05 AM
Skilled

OTF D/A is my favorite by far. I consider it to be the safest form (auto or non-auto) to carry.

Old 07-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Hall of Famer

My button release folders stop against a heat treated solid back spacer, Gene. That way, the button lock is backed up with the solid backstop. With the blade closed, it's held in lock position only with the button plunger.

I use a titanium leaf spring to open the blade. This is stronger and less likely to break than a torsion spring.

In my design, there is no torsion spring partly inside the blade pivot like the scale release auto's I've seen. that means the pivot has full contact with the blade and bushing.

By the way, I don't even know what a D/A is. I assume it means double action. Can someone describe a D/A action for me? :confused:
Old 07-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Are double D/A's sick or what?

Yes, I agree with Gabe. OTF's are very cool, no doubt!

The only thing that I argue with on them is styling. I'm not sure why, but most of the ones I've seen look like a harmonica box with a blade hole in the end. I think there is a ton of room for OTF styling improvement, but I do like the function of those knives the best.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 07-02-2004, 08:06 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

Ya Alex, kinda like a Pez dispensor with a blade in it.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Skilled

Well I guess it's a location thing, but I like hidden (stealth, covert whatever) DA's. I only have factory auto's. and only one is a stealh DA (A Microtech LCC) I also have a Microtech X70 (? I think) which is the mini version of their Makora model. Bu it's not a hidden realease.

I have handled a bunch of custom auto's though. Johnny Stout's Tornado (Les's Vanguard series), Larry Chews spitfires, An assortment of Darrel Ralph's, his assist opening mad max is very slick, I also like his traditional "italian" switch. That has an interesting realease.

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 07-02-2004, 02:36 PM
Enthusiast

Love those D/A's..........

LIFE/ENDOWMENT/PATRON NRA MEMBER
Old 07-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Skilled

Hi Geno- I like them all, but from a style standpoint, I always fall hard for the classic stiletto design..I think it is one of the "sexiest" knives, but with a touch of meance thrown in. The hand made ones I have lock up very securely, (sometimes a pain to close...), with the pivot lock on top.. As far a snap on opening goes, some makers out there are known for their "wrist twister" openers.. Paul Panak is one that comes to mind..
I'm also in the front row for any "hidden" opening systems, bolster, scale etc..Gabe's choice of the DA OTF is also one of my favorites..Just showing those people who have any interest in things mechanical is so much fun, and younger guys look at you like you are some kind of James Bond type when you set them off...LOL..You asked about the handle cocking knives and I love those too.. The only ones I have ever seen are OTF's, but what is interesting is that without the DA mechanics, I tend to see much more variation in style which was mentioned by Alex and yourself as a personal drawback on the DA's.. I have only handled three or so of the cocking knives, but all of them were very impressive opening wise.. The "Viper" I think was the first of this design and it has perhaps one of the most unique locks I have seen.. The blade locks when a small spring loaded insert in the bottom of the blade itself clears the frame.. Very cool, but I wouldn't trust it to be anywhere near to "full proof"... I look forward to seeing you and Don post some of your new auto's now and then.. Do me a favor though, don't post em on Friday's..(my payday....lol)... Best, Rich
Old 07-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast

I am partial to scale release from the few types of autos that I have played with. But for all around looks I would go for Nifmakr's Canoes! I have not got to play with one but when the day comes that I am at a show with one of his knives I will be playing.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:31 PM

I own five--all different...

1. Gene Osborn scale release w/coil spring action. (I will take a photo soon.) Very clean in black micarta.

2. Mike 'Whiskers' Allen coil spring bolster release. Solid opener. Very cool action.

3. Butch Vallotton RCC Vanguard covert scale release D/A. Tension spring liner lock?.

4. James Brothers 'Cheyenne' coil spring button release/lock. The body is made of hi-grade aluminum, and the knife is light. The spring is STRONG, so the knife almost jumps out of your hand. What a ride! (My very first custom.)

5. Larry Davidson tension spring loaded D/A. Liner Lock?.

I like them all, and like the variances.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Hall of Famer

When Johnny Stout was in the shop the other day, he showed me his "Tornado". I haven't been the same since!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-05-2004, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
1. Gene Osborn scale release w/coil spring action. (I will take a photo soon.) Very clean in black micarta.
As promised...

It's a nice one, Gene!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-06-2004, 12:15 AM
Skilled

Robert, it was good visiting with you on Thursday and seeing your shop and all the new equipment you have built. Grat job. We'll have to make it longer next time. Thanks for the nice comment about my DA auto. By the way, it is my Zodiac model, the Tornado was a Limited Edition I did for Les for his Vanguard series a few years ago, no longer in production...the Zodiac will go up on my site tomorrow for sale.

Old 07-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Johnny, that's for the clarification, I know now that you told me it was a Zodiac, I have lots of senior moments lately ) Please come back and stay a month!
Guys, are there any "plans" or tutorials out there for making these types of knives? Don, do you have something up your sleeve? I want to try one. After handling Johnnys, this is a "must try to build" knife on my list.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
As promised...

It's a nice one, Gene!

Coop
Man, that's a beauty, Gene. I like everything about it!!!

Very, very sleek.

Tags
blade, knife, knives, switchblade