MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:11 PM
Master

liner lock spring

Im using 440c SS for my liners on my liner lock is there any special grinding or cutting i have to do to the lock (beside HT) before it will work right? hopefully my question was clear
THX

bill:evil

Old 10-04-2003, 01:19 AM
Enthusiast

What made you decide to use 440c for the liners instead of the usual titanium?
Old 10-04-2003, 09:15 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

The lock has to mate properly with the blade but that's about it. You might want to get 'The Tactical Folding Knife' by Terzuola. He has an extensive explanation of a couple of different methods of mating the lock to the blade..........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-04-2003, 09:16 AM
Hall of Famer

440C will make a good liner, but the liner must be completely finished before heat treating. All holes finished, the lock cut out and bent, fitted to the blade, etc. That works, but you take a chance on having the liner warp during the quench, which will affect the fitup with the rest of the parts.

If you haven't had experience with this before, I suggest you use Ti, as L6 says. It doesn't require heat treating and makes a great spring.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Master

ti is more expensive, i have experiance with 440c, and ive heard ti get "gummy", Im not to worried about warpage since the SS is air quenched. Maybe i should have added a bit of info...the liners are 1/16" so i was wondering if i needed to grind it down more at the bend?

Old 10-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Hall of Famer

The 1/16" should work fine. Whether or not to grind a relief depends on the width and thickness of the spring at the back end, where it flexes. I make mine about 3/16" to 1/4" wide at the back. If it's too stiff , then I drill a hole at the end of the spring cut, which narrows the width a little more. You can make the hole larger until the spring works without being too stiff.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:37 PM
Master

so im suppose to bend the liner before ht? how far should i bend it?

Old 10-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Hall of Famer

Yes, you'd have a hard time bending it after it's hardened. It would overcome the tensile strength and weaken the metal at that point.

Bend it the thickness of the blade plus one washer thickness. If it's bent further than that, it may twist the entire handle when the lock engages.

Why don't you just make the first one out of Ti and learn all this? Ti can be finished by several methods. It only smears if you try to buff it. Hand sand to a fine grit shine, or bead blast, jewel it, or anodize it.

You might be interested in one of the books on my web site. "My Way".

By the way, Halpern Titanium has a special sale on .050" Ti. Much cheaper than 440c, much lighter and stronger. Save a few dollars and get some.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:09 AM
Master

the reason i dont want to use ti is one the price, also ive heard people complaain it's "gummy" also it harder to work with and can be dangerous. so i figure why mess with something that's like that when i cant really see any positives over ss

Old 10-11-2003, 06:18 PM

Talking

You Error in your judgment of ti being more expencive than 440-c ,if you buy it from Chuck bybee at alpha knifesupply it is a hell of alot cheaper than anything anywhere else and you dont have to heatreat it , CK
Old 10-11-2003, 06:45 PM
Hall of Famer

CK, I think this guy is a troll, just out to get a rise. He's posted about the same things on other forums.

Let's help somebody else who is actually interested.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:53 PM

Bill has some legitimate concerns but nothing that can't be handled.

The price of ti is not an issue. Some places sell it much higher priced that stainless and some sell it lower. Finding a good price on ti is not hard to do.

Yes, ti does have some health issues associated with working it. But then, so does stainless. If you wear your respirator like we all should, no problem.

Yes, ti has been called gummy. Brass is also gummy. Nickle silver is more gummy than brass and ti put together. That shouldn't stop you from working with any of these materials if you want to. If you use sharpe cutting tools and lubrication you'll never notice the gumminess (except with that danged nickel silver!).

Does ti wear out faster than stainless when used for a lock? I doubt it. Every major maker of liner locks uses ti and they wouldn't if the stuff wore out easily. I've used it for 10 years and have never had a knife returned because the ti liner got worn or loose.

The only real problem you will have is cutting the lock bar free from the liner. With stainless you can cut that long thin slot with a jewelers saw. Might not be easy, but you can do it. You can probably use that saw on ti too, but it won't be so easy. Either a small milling bit or a slotting saw will work much more easily.

What are the advantages of ti over stainless? Ti weighs about 40% less. It is stronger than steel for a piece of material of equivalent dimensions. It does not have to bee heat treated in order to be a strong and highly effective lock. It will never fatigue no matter how many times the knife is opened and closed.

If you don't want to use ti, that's fine but don't let the horror stories scare you away. Stainless steel will make a good lock and a knife that you can be proud of. There are good reasons to use stainless but they are related more to what tools you have to work with than any of those fears about ti discussed above.

All I really want you to do is keep your mind open about ti. When you feel like you have the right tools to work with it, then give it a try. You'll open up a whole lot of new possibilities for your knives when you do. Until then, make knives that you can be proud of out of anything you want to use. Be sure to post some pics so we can keep up with what you are doing too....

Old 10-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Master

first off don i dont know you from adam so id appriciate if youd keep your assinine coments to yourself. Ive heard alot of people say that ti is so much better but never really heard any thing better about it other than the ht. I have nothing against ti, just heard more bad then good. so as far as trying to get a rise out of anyone don i dont see how im trying to do that, this is my first time asking about the procedure of getting the lock right, also i dont believe that anyone here makes their own ti so im not putting anyones product down just curious, if you dont like the question dont answer just dont put people down.

Bill :evil

Old 10-11-2003, 09:05 PM

Let me try to defuse this situation before it gets started by laying out some of the CKD ground rules that we play by on these forums.

Don, we don't do that. If a person becomes a problem we will bar him from the forums, very politely, but very gone. Done it before. We leave 'flaming', however minor, to those other forums.

Bill, can't blame you for getting up on your hind legs but Don does have a point which I did mention to you once before. You do seem to ask the same question more than once on different forums, sometimes even on the same forum in a different thread. You know we all spend a lot of time trying to answer Newbies questions but that just doubles the load. Please pay more attention to that in the future.

Now, let's all shake hands and get back to the important work at hand - making knives!

Old 10-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Master

not on my hind legs at all just think don needs to chill. as for the same questions over and over i disagree. i may ask the same kind of questions but thats just the way i learn, sorry. as for banning someone i havent been rude to anyone here, ive been nothing but nice and respectful, if other people cant be or dont like the way i learn they shouldnt feel compelled to answer or take the time to write me at all if they cant be nice, thats all im saying. too many people do exactly what don do, get all upity when someone disagees with them, well maybe ill see don at some show in the future and we can shke hands then if he'll come up to me and say sorry which i really doubt he would. ray you have helped me before which i appriciate but like i said if i ask the same KIND of question twice theres no need for someone to answer it if they dont see the difference

Tags
blade, folding knife, knife, knives