MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

"The entire package is distributed in source code form."

If this is literally true, that would mean Ed or anyone acquiring this software would have to compile it before they could use it. If there is no executable code being distributed for this software it will not be of any use to anybody but a computer programmer familiar with C compilers.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Guru

Ray,

That is right up to a point. I was trying to pass some info along that may help some, not knowing the technical abilities of all. I downloaded it last night and ran the "configure" script in a cygwin window and it configured correctly, problem being I didn't have the compiler installed on that machine (part of the cygwin install if you want it). I grabbed that last night while I slept, so hopefully tonight I will know how easy it is to build and get running on a windows machine (Mac OS-X, Linux, and the BSD's should be no problem). I will post my results when I finish. The folks from the ARL have done a good job trying to make it so you do not need to know about the compiler to build this, so hopefully it will work on cygwin.

Also, for those that are thinking about a program, but aren't going to jump in right now, binary builds usually show up fairly shortly for programs like this. As I said, the ARL just released this, so not much time has gone by for people to poke at it and see how it will fit into the community. I think by looking at the documentation, the output, etc, along with the need in the community for a reliable CAD program, this will take off fairly well.

Hopefully I will be able to post how the build went and if it was relatively easy, instructions tonight or tomorrow night.

--Carl
Old 01-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Guru

OK,

Got some time to work on it. The makefiles don't like cygwin at this time, so I didn't get a windows build to complete. If you are running one of the Unix variations you may still want to look at this package.

If I see pre-built binaries come up, I will let people know so they can re-think this if they want.

--Carl
Old 01-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Registered

sorry,this is probaly late but I Tried this Solidworks program its not that hard.
and its compatible with autocad import export,and the paterns come out pretty acurate no more adjusting than with a drawing. but it gives you a good look at the finished product as far as 3-diminsional.easy to save for picks to.
you can dimension it to I just know them and didn't want extra clutter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drawing.jpg (22.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Drawing2.jpg (20.4 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by gus; 01-21-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:23 AM
Skilled

Hey Ed, I know for a fact that Rick Hinderer uses a CAD mill for his folders. I don't know anything else about it. But he should be at the "shot" show if your going.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:55 PM

Hey Ed, do what I did...train the kids Jody is expert in SurfCam and Kristi in AutoCad.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Heck, I can't get Mandi to do much of anything.....she's so wrapped up between going to school and working to pay for it.......I do get to see her every now and then, usually at meal time!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives