MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 12-12-2003, 10:29 PM

OK, now i'm really confused. i found a web site that sells switchblades and they sell to U.S. adresses only . I contacted them about switchblade laws and they were not very specific.
I kind of think they were doing it illegaly because they said that if you send them a check you could not wright switchblade in the memo . It just seemed to good and quiet to be legal. Then again they had a huge selection and it was on the internet so maby it is legal. If anyone can figuer it out please let me know.

thanks,

CAW
Old 12-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

It is illegal for them to ship across state lines and they know it. But, they also know that the Feds aren't super interested in pursuing most of those small scale cases so they take the risk. The big companies like Benchmade won't ship autos across state lines because they have too much to lose but the little guys have been doing it for literally decades .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-17-2004, 06:54 PM

HI

This is just to keep you updated and to prove i'm not full of crap. I have writen a 1 1/2 page letter that i plan to send to my local and state representatives. I think i have made a good argument for switchblades like how you can buy a shotgun and a fillet knife at walmart but not a switchblade. I was wondering if anyone had any sugestions on how i could improve it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear ------- I have become interested in knifemakeing and collecting. When I found out that switchblades were illegal in some states and that federal laws banned the sale of them I was stunned and outraged. I have researched this and think these laws need to be changed or done away with.

Switchblades have come to be known as dangerous weapons however, they have unfairly received that image. Movies and TV shows have associated these knives with gangs and drug dealers while not showing their legitimate uses. Although the click of a switchblade may sound intimidating it is only as dangerous as a regular folding knife. Any knife could be used in a crime, not just switchblades!!

I realize that knives can be used for illegal purposes but that is only one of their many uses. I view switchblades as useful tools because they open automatically. I have heard stories about switchblades saving people?s lives. In many of the stories regular folding knives would be hard to use even if they had a thumb stud. I have a perfectly legal knife with a thumb stud and I can open it almost as fast as a switchblade. Some one could make the argument ?Why are you angry about switchblades being illegal when you have a knife that is almost the same?? I would tell them, ?Based on your argument a type of car could be banned because criminals like to drive it. Nobody could complain because there are still many choices of cars.?

I don?t mean to sound like a weapons freak, but I think that switchblades have been unfairly banned. I was not even born when most switchblade laws were passed and I did not get any input on the decision. It is my understanding that the Federal Switchblade Act was passed because the people voting on it did not want to appear as being on the side of criminals.

It frustrates me to know that I cannot own a switchblade. I have seen people own illegal knives and use them for legitimate purposes. The only reason I do not own a switchblade is because they are illegal. In the 1950s switchblades were popular among gangs but that was a long time ago. Now, gangs still have switchblades and many other illegal items despite the laws banning them. All these laws do is stop good people from owning switchblades. If someone is going to commit a crime I doubt they will care about a knife law. Switchblades are very easy to get. Legalizing switchblades would make daily tasks easier for countless people.

When I was younger a friend brought a switchblade along on a campout. He used it to carve a few sticks and flipped it open a couple of times to impress us. Although it was illegal for him to have it nobody cared. After all, it was just a knife that opened automatically. Just because it was a switchblade did not mean it had to be used to hurt someone. We all went home unharmed. The only way the knife effected us was that we all wanted to go get switchblades.

Any type of knife can be used in a crime. I don?t understand why people are so intimidated by switchblades. Personally, I would be more scared if someone robbed me with a 10-inch fillet knife than a 4-inch switchblade. I think most people would feel the same way. I find it very interesting that a fillet knife can be bought at nearly any store that sells any kind of knife and that a shotgun can be bought at Walmart, yet I have never seen a switchblade at a store. Guns and fillet knives but not switchblades, does this make any sense at all? This is The United States of America our laws should be fair and make sense!

In the end, laws are for honest people. I have never owned a switchblade but I hope that one day I can. I see no reason why switchblades should be illegal a moment longer. There are many people who share these views with me who do not want to come home and write a letter after a day at work. Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. Writing it is almost the only thing I can do to try to change these outdated and very unfair laws. If you have any questions, comments or if there is anything I can do to help please contact me.

Thank you,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for your help
Old 01-17-2004, 08:07 PM

CAW,
I think your letter is excellent. It's relatively short, to the point and in your own words/voice; not a 'form' letter used for mass mailing legislators. One suggestion: List any knife-related, outdoor sport/activity or other related organizations of which you are a member and show that you have sent the same letter to their leadership. Also, you might be able to get your letter published on the editorial page of local newspapers and I'd suggest you send it to BLADE Magazine, KI, Tactical Knives etc. I want to personally thank you for your efforts because it helps us all. Thanks for stepping up!
BT

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 01-18-2004, 05:58 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Paul3
Geno, That spring is a dangerous thing. My ball point pens have springs and they have a vicious point when the spring is operated.
ROFLOL

Old 01-20-2004, 12:42 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Don't say that too loud,Paul, a spring loaded writing utensil could be very dangerous.Don't you have to go to thug school to operate one of those?
Old 01-24-2004, 06:20 PM

Thanks for your support. I plan to send the letters out very soon.
I will try to post a response if they write back.

thanks,
CAW
Old 01-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Paul3
CAW, May I use your letter to send to my Local newspaper to the editor and my state and federal Reps. I would add of course, That what you write is exactly how I feel also. May I Please????

Old 01-25-2004, 07:20 PM

sure , Do anything you want with it.

CAW
Old 02-17-2004, 07:18 PM

About a week after i sent my letters i got a response from my local representative. unfortunately i think he did not give my letter much attention. In short he said:

Thank you for your input on this important issue. Rest assured i will keep your views in mind. I am a strong supporter of the 2nd
ammendment.

It is nice to know that he supports the 2nd ammendment but in my letter i told him that switchblades have legitemate uses and should be viewed as tools not weapons. I haven't got a response from the other 4 letters so there still might be hope but i dought it.

CAW

Tags
blade, folding knife, forge, knife, knives, switchblade