MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:19 AM

knife making help please

ok guys so I mentioned that I was going to start making custom knives
so I will give you all a quick run down of what I have figured out so far haves and haves nots
ok so I ordered 1095 steel I have 3/16 thick on all and 1" 1 1/2" and 2" different styles and shapes to the blades
I designed a few profiles on paper and picked out my favorites cut them out and traced them on the blade blanks. next I used my cut off wheel and grinder to profile the blades.
now I have 2 types of sanders and heres where im having the trouble
I picked up a 4" belt sander at harbor freight but the deck dose not allow me to invert the table so I kinda have to do the work upside down for the moment and I made a jig that will hopefully fix this all for me. the other sander I have I picked up at a tag sale its a 1" belt but has a lot of power and adjustments can be made on it
now my issue is I don't know what angel is best for 3/16 for the bevel and dose anyone have a good way to be sure the bevel is even on both sides of the blade it seems to me like every time I flip the blade the angel changed on me not sure why this is
now I have seen pictures of your guys awesome work you all do and I know someone on here has walked the steps im taking now an figured it out and suggestions are appreciated thanks guys
Old 10-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Lots of guys start with those 4" grinders, not the easiest thing to use but they work for a while. Since you have a 1" with plenty of power I'd suggest you use that for most of your grinding.

Every newbie I ever met, including myself 20 years ago, asks that question about what angle to grind on a blade of X dimensions. That's the wrong way to think about it - the angle is of no concern whatsoever. My point is, for a bar of steel of any given size there is only ONE angle that will result in a full flat grind all the way across the blade when the edge is centered on the blade. So, just grind until the blade is flat all the way across without crossing the centerline on the edge and without cutting into the blade's spine and you will have achieved that angle whatever it may be. If you don't want a full flat grind then just grind as far as you want to go without crossing the centerline and try to do it the same on both sides. That takes practice - the whole secret to grinding the same on both sides is simply practice.

And forget about the jigs. Jigs will generally limit you to a specific size or shape of blade or a particular type of grind. Learn to grind free hand and you'll be able to grind any blade of any size with any type of grind you want. Lots of beginners use a jig at first but, if you do, try to use it just to see how a grind shapes up and then try to duplicate that by hand.

Knife making is a technological art form. It requires study and lots of practice. But, you will be surprised at how fast you can learn to do some of these things that look like they are impossible when you first see them - like grinding - if you will simply put in a few weeks of practice and realize that you will have to scrap a few blades to get where you want to be ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 10-12-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:54 PM

yea I think I will take your advice on that one I have a lot of steel on hand so I need to learn what to do thanks for the advice my friend
Old 10-14-2014, 05:46 AM

You can condition/train your muscles and hand/eye coordination without wasting steel. Bust up a few old hardwood pallets and practice with the hardwood slats. Principles and motor skills are the same, just a matter of training your physical with your mental with a lot of repetitive practice.
You will develop the feel for the machine. Steel will just be slower.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
1095, advice, art, awesome, belt, bevel, blade, blades, blanks, custom, custom knives, edge, forge, grinder, grinding, hand, jig, knife, knife making, knives, made, making, newbie, steel