MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-28-2002, 08:16 AM
trail angel

Advice re belt grinders

Hi everyone.
Well, ...I have been busy making knives using a hand grinder and files for the last 6 months...I have learnt a lot and have seen an improvement in my work.
I would now like to consider investing in a belt grinder ...(I want to be able to do a concave grind rather than flat grinds).

I have catalogs from Texas and Sheffield, but I am a confused(an understatement!) as to what exactly I need and what would be best for me.

I tend to work with old files (min. of an inch in width) and as suggested I would like to have concave grinds on my knives.
What size contact wheel should I be considering?
What is the difference between plain, serrated and felt wheels?
Texas advertises a 'multi tool grinding attachment' which seems to attach to a simple 1 hp bench grinder which has a 48 inch belt, 7 inch dia disc and a 8 inch serrated contact wheel....$325....................Has anyone any experience of these type of attachments?.......any advice?

Alternatively, both catalogs have Bader's for sale...(B111-B3 Bench Model .....expensive, but is this what I should be investing in?..Any advice about HP/variable speeds?

Any other make and models I should be looking at?

Does anyone know of any used grinders for sale?......

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2002, 11:26 AM
MJHKNIVES

I would stay away from the felt wheels, were I you.
A good grinder, that does not cost a lot, would be the Coote.
1-360-437-0366. They do not have a web presense, don't know if they even have an email.
This grinder comes without a motor. Personally, I think variable speed is the best way to go, but it is expensive.
IMO, the smooth is the best all around wheel, about 8" for what you are doing.
There are many grinders available, the choices only limited by the size of your bank account. I am of the opinion, that one get the best tools that he/she can afford. If you buy just for low price, you will end up getting the better one later anyway, and would have more $$ if you had not wasted it on junk.
Just my .02.
PS: A real good grinder is the KMG-1 by Rob Frink of Beaumont metal works, it also comes wihout a motor. I will put a couple of url's here, one Minarik, a distributor of Leeson variable speed motors and controls.
www.minarikcorp.com/index.html

65.108.254.151/index.html
Old 04-28-2002, 12:29 PM
Lamnia Artifex

I been looking for a grinder too. I am gonna forge my knives as close to shape though. I was wondering what type of grinder (h-power, rpms, belt/disc), and how much I should spend on one. Keep in mind I am a kid.
Old 04-28-2002, 02:05 PM
RickNJ

> Re: Advice re belt grinders

I agree the KMG-1 is an awesome grinder. If you have the money I would say go for it. Mine just arrived a few days ago and I'm waiting for my motor to show up. I chose to get my variable speed through the use of step pulleys. I guess you might say it's variable speed on a budget. $22 for pulleys and $100 for a single speed motor
Old 04-28-2002, 08:56 PM
SShepherd

grinder

Well, I've had a bader III for about 2 months now..it's a great tool. he people at Tx knifemakers supply were really great.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:23 AM
trail angel

Re: grinder

Thanks for the replies and links.
The KMG oes look like a quality machine....how easy is it to fit a motor to it?.....I am not mechanical in any sense of the word.
If I get a motor, is there a place on the grinder to bolt it on or do I have to make something?

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:40 AM
Kelly

Having wasted quite a bit of time and money with various odd sized and bargain priced grinders, I agree with the recommendation to buy the best that you can. Definitely stick with grinders useing 2" X 72" belts, the industry standard; motor size of 1 1/2 + hp; and variable speed provides a tremendous increase in versatility.
With six month's experience useing a Bader BIII, I definitely recommend it.

Tags
forge, knives