MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 06-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Skilled

I looked carefully but probably not Delrin. Spacers (and sheath) of little bear are much later so probably either later "ivorite" or AI... the characteristics of the m2 appear to be earlier than the first commercial production of Delrin.... so probably ivory...HOWEVER... if the m2 is Delrin, it would be likely dated on a par with my m3, 1961 or so,. It might cause me to make an offer that could be refused only with difficulty...

Maybe next year I'll see if Ron wants to set up a joint display... I'll bring the Delrins and Viet models. He can blow everyone away with his collection of m3s. Since I would drive up, I can make the display cases. Too bad I don't drink.

Last edited by Jacknola; 06-06-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknola View Post
I looked carefully but probably not Delrin. Spacers (and sheath) of little bear are much later so probably either later "ivorite" or AI... the characteristics of the m2 appear to be earlier than the first commercial production of Delrin.... so probably ivory.

Maybe next year I'll see if Ron wants to set up a joint display... I'll bring the Delrins and Viet models. He can blow everyone away with his collection of m3s. Since I would drive up, I can make the display cases. Too bad I don't drink.
Now I would pay admission just for that!!!
Old 06-06-2017, 05:31 PM
Steel Addict

The Applegate knife has a Franz Loc belt clip. It's designed as a high ride. Google it for pictures on both knives and gun holsters going back to the Heiser days.

The knife is featured in the RKS newsletter from August, 2009.

http://www.randallmadeknife.com/2009-august/
Old 06-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Steel Addict

The lack of collecting interest in comments and reports about Blade elsewhere tends to just confirm my opinions

Sorry Jack, just can't seem to get past this statement, I cannot fathom why with your intelligence you feel you HAVE to go there...all this statement does is confirm the opinions others have regarding you...
Old 06-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Skilled

Thanks Mitchell

Old 06-06-2017, 06:46 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty water View Post
The lack of collecting interest in comments and reports about Blade elsewhere tends to just confirm my opinions

Sorry Jack, just can't seem to get past this statement, I cannot fathom why with your intelligence you feel you HAVE to go there...all this statement does is confirm the opinions others have regarding you...
Scott, you didn't have a problem deleting your post about this last night, wish you would have left it that way. The man is entitled to his opinion is he not?
Not to mention your sarcastic comment about me.
Sam

Last edited by samg; 06-06-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Steel Addict

My comments were towards Jack, not you sir...I apologize to you as I meant nothing against your posts...they are fantastic, once again, I do apologize for any insinuating remarks towards you...

...and I just couldn't let his comments slide seeing as they were meant to be derogatory against the most populous Randall sight and it's members, and please don't try to make like they weren't...

And as a member here, I believe I am entitled to my opinion also...
Old 06-06-2017, 07:26 PM
Skilled

Thanks Scott, I just take exception to your direct comment to me last night. Thanks for deleting it.
Sam
Old 06-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Steel Addict

Nothing was sarcastic AGAINST you...yes, it was sarcastic, but I couldn't fathom why Jack would compliment your great posts and in the same breath shoot a diatribe and drag the thread down this street...again...
Old 06-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Skilled

Thank you Mitchell. I found a brief discussion in Gaddis and I look forward to reviewing this further in part using the reference data you have so carefully made available on your site.

My brother and I bought original British Commando knives from an Army-Navy store in about 1961 for a dollar each. We bent the ends throwing them. So I have some interest in the solutions offered by Randall and proposed by Applegate. I'll go to your fine site and read the literature. I am amazed that knife has survived this long.

__________________________________________________ ____

Scott, I don't spend much time worrying about what other people think of me. Respect is earned by courtesy, acknowledgement, open mindedness, knowledge/research sharing, and other characteristics, post by post. The tension between collecting and business is not necessarily personal. I dealt with it in rug collecting. But the tension is reduced by respect.

However, I have some issues that tend toward personal, and they are deep seated. They have nothing to do with being banned (I would have left there in any case). I'll share the issues privately if you want to PM me an email address. Other than that I suggest we drop it.

However, here is a promise. Anyone who treats me, my published treatises, and other collectors too, with respect and courtesy, and preferably acknowledgement will receive the same from me.

Last edited by Jacknola; 06-06-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:06 PM
Skilled

Sorry about the blurry pic, but check out the mod 18 in the center. The owner stated that it was experimental in that it has a thong ring attachment in the end cap.

Sam

Little better pic of it.

Last edited by samg; 06-06-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Steel Addict

It turns out the 18 was listed in Hunt's "Rare and Experimental" book. Seeing the sheath on a PC instead of a phone, it looks like it is a steel rivet, which would be correct for an early screw butt. Joe remembers John buying it directly from Hunt.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:02 AM
Skilled

Great photos Sam! I would expect nothing else from you! lol And your new knife is incredible! Thank you for sharing all of these pics!

Those rare knives in the red felt lined cases belong to John Cheek, a collector of 50+ years. Jack, the Model 2 in the center of the case in the last pic is handled in Ivory.

The gentlemen that display their knives in those blue cases have some of the rarest and finest knives around! I have purchased many. Paul has a Model 12-9" Sportsman Brassback Bowie that I'm trying to wrestle away from him now! lol

Once again, Thank you Sam for doing what we have been waiting for, excellent photography!

Last edited by Ta2bill; 06-07-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
That altered knife in the green case is there purely to deceive, as far as I'm concerned. It's a 2016 pieced together knife, and should not even be displayed in the same building as Viet Nam related items.

Bill,

I am not sure if you mean me or the current owner of the re-handled knife as the deceiver.

I bought a broken Low S fighter, a rare Randall blade and had it repaired. This could not have been done at the Randall shop. They would have replaced it with a new stainless blade, but not a Low S.

I asked James Behring to repair it, and Mudbone to make a tribute sheath. I felt I was saving a rare Randall knife and creating a cool collectable. I posted all of this in the forums and other venues. If there is deception in that process, I am missing it.

In the display, the knife is shown along with other knives that probably never saw service in Vietnam. The knife was not being sold, nor was false provenance being offered. It was a display for entertainment and interest.

In the very same display case is a MK2 knife that Randall re-handled. Is there a difference?

I know you have had James Behring re-handle Randall blades and posted them on Facebook and the forums. Again, is there a difference?

I ask all of this to better understand the perceived deception and the feeling that this knife is not worthy of display with other Vietnam knives.

Respectfully,

Mitchell

Last edited by tunefinK; 06-07-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Skilled

Thanks Bill, I feel very privileged to own that mint fighter. Those kind of condition knives don't fall in your lap every day.
Speaking of Paul, have you seen his mid-fifties sub-hilt smithsonian? In Clarence Moore sheath no less! Like a moron I didn't ask him to let me take pictures of it. I've got a message out to him to see if he'll send me a few.
Thanks, Sam

Last edited by samg; 06-07-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Tags
2017, back, bee, blade, book, casting, collecting, custom, fighter, hand, knife, knives, made, make, micarta, post, randall, rare, sheath, show, stiletto, tang, tang nut, vintage, vintage knives