MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2023, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

makers mark

what does everyone use for a makers mark? i need a new mark as my old one was an old ithaca gun proof testing stamp....thinking of another stamp with my initials or last name....dont think i want to do the whole stencil engraving setup....what do you all use?...looking for ideas
Old 07-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Master

Mine is old school name, city, state for easy ID. These days I have it lasered as the result is much cleaner and no worries of mess up like a worn out elctrochemical stencil that becomes fuzzy or has a hole allowing a spot to be unintendedly etched.

Old 07-07-2023, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast

do you have it sent out or do you have a laser? sounds like a good option!
Old 07-07-2023, 12:57 PM
Master

I'm having this done through a local knife retailer/dealer that has a laser engraving machine. It is a scalable mark that to me is better than using stencils. I've heard from some that following a laser marking that they have to lightly go over the area to clear a haze. Coated blades it is different but there are variables among machines to learn about. The 50 watt laser this shop uses produces a clean mark at the onset so no other work is necessary.

If I did enough volume I'd consider buying one, probably used though. I'm not aware what the prices of lasers are though. From a brief look they range $1,200 -$1,700. In that regard an electro chemical type stencil system is $400 roughly so not as big an investment. With fresh stencils a very good crisp mark can be done so one of those cost relationships to consider.

This is a pair that were laser marked early on: One is darker because he ran one blade twice to experiment. Now a single pass is sufficient.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg laser-mark-May 28, 2023-0437.jpg (207.5 KB, 2 views)

Old 07-07-2023, 10:40 PM
Master

Did these two today. The nice part is the ease at changing them. The collector of the stag fighter his was unique so it was marked with a 1 of 1 etch. No picture for me because he took delivery at the shop.

Last edited by M&J; 07-07-2023 at 10:44 PM.

Tags
blades, chemical, clean, collector, easy, engraving, etch, etched, fighter, gun, knife, makers, marking, shop, stag, stencil