MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:46 AM

What type of forge is this?

I am deployed to Afghanistan and there is a forge at our base. I would like to know if you guys have ever seen one like this and could help me learn to use it. I'm half way done with my stock removal and HT is my next step. I am using some 1/4 in spring type steel I found in the forge shop. Any help you can give me on the usage of this forge would be greatly appreciated.

101_0675.JPG

101_0677.JPG
Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 AM
Guru

That is a forced air propane burner. Tho that does not look like a propane bottle in the 2nd pic. One way to find out for certain. Turn the gas on and smell it.

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 AM

It smells like propane. I just think it's Afghani. So I just light it and let'er rip?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Will I be able to HT with it?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Guru

You should be able to. I would do the detailed test on startup first if you have doubt about things. Make sure that blower works to. turn that on and test it. turn on the gas and go thru the range of settings you have. Also check the forge itself good and make sure to check for leaks!

Yes you should be able to heat treat with it to, that is more a matter of consistency.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Guru

Figure the worse case is you have a leak in the propane, just need to shut off the supply and kill the flame. you have a fire extinguisher behind in the photo's ") so you might be well familiar with it's use soon Don't be inhaling that stuff either, I had a respiratory infection for a week after I used the last one.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNet View Post
Figure the worse case is you have a leak in the propane, just need to shut off the supply and kill the flame. you have a fire extinguisher behind in the photo's ") so you might be well familiar with it's use soon Don't be inhaling that stuff either, I had a respiratory infection for a week after I used the last one.
Hopefully I won't need the extinguisher. I assume I light the propane then turn on the blower? There are no settings, other than how wide open I turn on the propane. The blower works fine. It appears that the only place to light it is through the large hole where the blade goes in. (as you see in the picture)

101_0678.JPG

Last edited by rod18cdz; 06-28-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Guru

Let the forge tell you that. when you turn on the blower and feel the force it puts out then with just the propane on you can physically see the gas coming out, You may need to turn on the blower on the lowest setting to light it tho. Esp with unknown and possible dangerous construction you just have to play it by ear and see what it was setup for.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNet View Post
Let the forge tell you that. when you turn on the blower and feel the force it puts out then with just the propane on you can physically see the gas coming out, You may need to turn on the blower on the lowest setting to light it tho. Esp with unknown and possible dangerous construction you just have to play it by ear and see what it was setup for.
Thanks for the comments! I saw no settings on the blower, nor an on/off switch, it is plug-in then it goes. This forge is a part of a knife shop that the chaplain built years ago. He has since passed from cancer. It has belt sanders anvils and all necessary tools which no one has used in a while, until I came along. I think he did it as a stress reliever for Soldiers when they came in from the fighting. He was a good black smith from what I understand.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Guru

Ok so design and construction (depending on source of materials) may be quite good but it has been sitting for some time and leaks, cracks, breaks, dry rot etc is still the #1 concern. The biggest thing you do *NOT* want is fire to get inside the hose, nozzle etc and creep back towards the tank. But then pressure keeps it out. To low pressure and it will creep, you commonly see this with several burners when you turn them off, esp with venturi designs.

Long story short listen to the tools/equipment and they will tell you what needs to be done

Tags
back, bee, cancer, design, fire, forge, heat treat, knife, make, materials, steel, stock removal, supply, tools