MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Skilled

What goes around.

Six years ago I helped a friend of mine who's wife had terminal cancer with her end of life care. Two days ago he called and asked if I wanted "some wood" and a replacement for my el'cheapo (trip to the emergency room waiting to happen) 10" Delta table saw. He is moving to Illinois into an apartment and was just going to leave it all at his old house, so I said sure.

When I got there today with my son I discovered I had inherited about $300.00 in furniture grade black walnut, a large spalted maple burl, a older Sears contractors 10" table saw with extensions, 10 professional bar clamps, an antique hand plane, a contractors Shop Vac and about 3 boxes of shop "odds and ends".

I'm sorry he couldn't take the stuff with him, but understand his reasoning why he didn't want to take it. At least the stuff will have a good home and not wind up on Ebay. The question I have now is what to use that walnut for?

J

Last edited by Julie Coffey; 02-12-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Steel Addict

Wow! Score, big time! Congrats Julie! Can you use the walnut for handle material? You might be able to barter for some some supplies you need.

Anyway, hats off to your friend for remembering your past kindness towards he and his wife.

Jim T
Old 02-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast

Good for you! And bless you, for your kindness. I love walnut, I keep mine in an old fridge (that doesn't work) with a 25 watt light bulb in it, and on all the time. In about 2 weeks, the wood (helps to cut it close to handle size) will be very dry and shrunk down allot. I keep bone, antler, steel, welding and brazing rods in there too.(no rust, no dampness) Some of my stuff has been in for 2-3 years. works great. I rigged up an old air conditioner vacuum-pump to a glass canning jar to pull a vacuum on it. I fill the jar with polyurethane, sink my handle material in it and draw it down. Looks like an alka-seltzer tab until all the air is removed. When the vacuum pump gets it down to "0" , I stop the pump turn off the isolation valve, and Leave it for 24 hours, them let the ambient air pressure back in (open the valve), and let soak up the polly for another 24. Take it out, wipe it off and Let it dry in your "hot fridge" for about 2 weeks, to let the polly dry inside the wood or bone. And you will have some pretty good stabilized stuff.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Skilled

Thanks Rog, what a great idea! It reminds me of the storage we had at the school in the welding lab for welding rods. My shop has limited space but I don't see any reason why I can't look for something once I get everything else laid out (again).

J

Old 02-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast

You can make a box to fit you shop (it's hard to turn around in mine too) Insulate it with Styrofoam,; cut off an extension cord, wire it to a fixture, and DO NOT put over a 15-25 Watt bulb in it. It can get real hot in a small box. Or find a small fridge like is in a dorm room, then 15 watt only. Good luck. Walnut is wonderful!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Skilled

Julie...What a great problem to have! I'm confident that between you and Merle, you can figure out what to do with it. He is sure to have some well conceived suggestions on how that Walnut can be best be put to good use.
Merle has mentioned you to me on a couple of my trips to his place and told me of your problems. Glad to see you are back "in the swing" of smithing again. He has spoken well of your talents. Good luck.
Ed.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Skilled

Thanks Ed, Merle's mentioned you to me too! As a graduation gift when the new shop is done he's coming out for a visit/inspection and we're going to forge some, man I can't wait for this semester to end now!

J

Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Master

Good for you Julie. Sounds like you have woodworking tools and the art background. Make yourself up a little end table, night stand or something like that. Then save the cut offs for just a few knife handles, especially if it's good straight grain.

You folks have a fun mini hammer-in, Craig

Tags
antler, art, cancer, forge, hammer, handle, knife, material, steel, supplies