MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:38 PM

Do antlers need to stabilized for knife scales?

My neighbor has given me a bunch of old, nice large deer antlers. I was wondering if it is necessary to stabilize these antlers, or can you just work with them as they are?
Also, it appears most antlers are used with hidden tang knives...is there any reason you wouldn't "slice" an antler in half longways and sandwich a full tang knife?
Sorry, if these are dumb questions but I'm just starting to learn about antler scales.
Any thing I should be worried about when drilling or sanding?
Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

"Need" is such a strong word. No, they don't need to be stabilized but if I were going to try to make scales out of them I surely would choose to stabilize them. Why? Because once you slice them they tend to curl up given the least excuse so I'd stabilize them first and then slice them. Even then I'd figure on some slight warping.

Most domestic deer antlers really aren't all that large, so, if you slice them up to use on a full tang you could easily find yourself having to make the handle smaller than you would like because you will lose a lot of width by trying to flatten out the cut side. You said you have plenty of these antlers so why not cut one and try to see for yourself?

Like with all animal products you have to be very careful about heat when drilling, sanding, or sawing. Use only the sharpest tools and freshest belts. Dull tools or belts will heat the antler quickly and that is guaranteed to warp your scales.........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Skilled

I've been using them for years. They are an organic material, weather, temperature, sun and sweat will effect it so stabilizing is a plus. You'll find that not all antlers are the same. Some will be large, some small. Some will have fairly strait parts some will be curved. Some will be heavy, others will have a thin shell and be spongy in the middle.
I usually let the antler tell me what it wants, not try to make it do something that wont look right.
I prefer the narrow tang/bolt through because it allows the use of epoxy, not as an adhesive but as a sealer. Then I can use a sealer (epoxy, wax or tung oil) on the outside finish.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:33 PM
Master

stabilizing will probably help some , is it necessary ?
I have one of my fathers elk handled knives from 1942 , still looks great , I highly doubt they had stabilizing equipment back then......few coats of mineral oil and she looks purdy all over again..........

Old 12-11-2014, 08:09 AM

I agree with JM, some may need it some don't. The warping issue and size issue Ray brought up are probably why most antler handled knives are stick tang. Organics are organics they tend to move with the climate around them - temp and humidity.

That being said I do have, like Rob, a family heirloom carried by my great uncle Knute with a whitetail handle. The blade is worn down to ice pick status but the antler could go for another 100 yrs. It was being carried by Knute at the turn of the century 1900 not 2000.

Another note: We have all seen and admired Wm. Scagel knives. He used a lot of whitetail and muledeer antler plus stacked leather - pretty sure he didn't stabilize (he lit his house and shop with Coleman Lanterns). His knives seem to be surviving very well.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 12-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast

Location: I was born and raised in Spanish Fork, Utah. I now live between Manti and Ephraim, Utah. We built a home here about 10 year ago.
If I May, I have used mule deer antler for many rears now. I rough cut the pieces and hang them in a burlap sack in my shop for 4 years before using them. A mew antler will shrink and and pull back from the guard. After polishing the finished antler, I coat them with a fiberglass rosin from Holland that is used to coat yacht hulls. It is clear and I get it from "Merton's Fiberglass. com." I have tuned up knives from over 30 years past manufacture and the mule deer antler handle remains in great shape.

Best wishes, LP

Tags
bee, belts, blade, choose, fixed blade, flat, full tang, handle, heat, hidden, hidden tang, knife, knife scales, knives, make, material, products, sanding, scales, stabilizing, tang, tools, warping, wax