MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:58 PM

Good Beveling

This is probably a good question for Sandy, but anyone who has a solution feel free...

When using the beveling tools along cut lines, how do you keep from rippling the beveling? I usually end up using a molding tool to clean up the bevels, but I was wondering if there is something I can do to my technique with the beveller and mallet to improve the initial work. My beveling looks like it walks along the cut line too much.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
"Walking" the beveler----a technique.

benjammin, my friend from down under-----Beveling, often considered one of the simplest of operations in leather work is actually one that requires a special technique. To properly bevel, one must not strike the beveler and make individual impressions as they will show as such. The beveler must remain in the incised cut and against the cut at all times. The striking must be a repetition of light blows while movig the beveler along the cut line. The resulting bevel will be even as the bevel is created by constant tiny overlapping impressions. This takes practice---lots of practice! By holding the tool very minutely above the surface of the leather and letting the ball of the finger tips act as a resisting force, the tool will raise up over the surface of the leather, after every striking blow, and you can slide it down the area to be beveled. Tilt the shaft of the tool slightly away from the direction you are beveling and you will be able to control the action that we old stampers call "walking" the tool. Some leathers are easier to "walk" than others but the same technique is still used. I use a checkered beveler most of the time, it loses definition in the impression but really enhances the use of highliters when darkening the recessed tooling. ---Sandy---

Old 04-17-2007, 11:54 PM

Thanks Sandy, your information is most reassuring.

I am ever the perfectionist, and in all my tooling, I am most disapointed with my beveling work. Most of the technique you've described I have put into practice, but I guess my style is just too brogan sometimes to keep it neat. I do like the idea of a checkered bevel. Diligent use of my molding tools seems to fix a lot of sins for me, and I guess until such time as I get a "pro" or at least someone better than me to watch me work, I will just have to keep plugging at it.

My best tool job was a wallet that I made for my father in law. I finished it two weeks before he passed away, and him being an old cowboy type he really liked the piece. I put it in his coffin when I paid my respects, and no one else saw it but him and me and my wife.

I've got quite a collection of leathercraft tools now, all sitting in storage boxes waiting for the day when I can get back to that work. My marble slabs have all been busted up from being moved one too many times, and some of the dye bottles have leaked out or dried up, but there's still a lot left. I look forward to the day when I can get back to doing some of the things I love. I never thought I'd be on the road for so long, but things are starting to come back around slowly, and this summer I should have all my cast iron pots and my long guns and my leatherwork back in my grasp once again. First thing is to get back with my family once again and then maybe I will have my life back. I head back to New York next Tuesday; the first big step. Then the wife will pack up our place in Denver and all the stuff we want to keep will get moved out east and the rest goes to the daughters heading off to college or else SA gets it.

Once all that happens, I will get back to the craft and maybe get some projects done and get some pics posted. I am also toying with the idea of stepping into the Kydex world, though I will always prefer the old fashioned ways.

Cheers mate

Ben Price, long time novice leather craftsman and native born Texican, recently dislocated and pining for home.