MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 08-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

Exclamation A Rant & A Warning About The Typhoon- A Package Deal

First the rant........

Darrel has encouraged us to be creative with the Typhoon.......yet there are absolutely no handle parts available, so said Alex. As Mr. Spock would have said: "This is illogical!" Creativity contains an inherent risk.......the very real possibility of a major mess-up! When I tried to be creative with the handles on my second Typhoon, I screwed up one. I would not have tried what I did except that I was under the impression that replacement parts are available, and I think Darrel stated same somewhere in this forum. I called Alex and he said there is not one single handle slab available as a replacement part! So, that's the end of the road for creativity as far as I'm concerned!

Come on fellas.....how 'bout supporting your product with replacement parts for ALL the parts in the kit!!!

Secondly, a warning........

I've noticed with both of my finished kits that the blade edge is almost flush with the sides of the handle slabs when the knife is closed! When I squeezed the handles to release the latch a rather unpleasant surprise awaited me. There's two ways to fix this: [1] resharpen the blade enough to remove some material while maintaining the edge profile, and/or [2] fatten the stop pin with a hammer and flat punch, and then remove some material from the opposite handle.

BE AWARE!

Having said all this......I'm starting on my third kit!! Photos to follow.

Forgiveness......the sweetest revenge.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:17 AM

Pal,
We never said there would be spare handles available for this kit at any time.
We did say that replacement screws and pivots would be available.

When we get the next run of knives made will may get extra handles and other parts. For now they are not available.

NEXT,
If you read the instructions it will tell you how to adjust the squeeze in the close position so that the blade edge is not a problem.

Please get your facts straight before going off on a rant.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:51 AM
Administrator

Hello ... first, let's clean up the language, please. We have kids and women reading these boards.

All the spare parts are listed on the site. Nobody is holding anything back. This model is a very, very limited run. We stated that from the outset. Of course, we could manufacture them by the trainloads, but that's not our company method.

We have spare parts for all the other knives we sell, but it was stated up front regarding the exclusivity of the initial Typhoon project. We always plan spare parts for the items that are subject to breaking or being defective. If someone has a Typhoon handle that was improperly manufactured, we would send them a replacement handle with no questions. However, artistic errors are outside of normal product support, so planning for these are on an as-we-can-get-to-it basis. I think I've been very consistent in telling this to everyone who has asked.

The full kit is only $69.00!

Adjusting the blade in the closed position is a matter of material removal around the pin stops in the handle on the counter edge side. I don't recommend flattening anything with a hammer ... One wrong wack and you'll be looking for more than a handle scale ...

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 08-26-2003, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast

Pal........

I read the instructions......more than once, but they do not address the problem I've had with the blade height in the closed position!

What the instructions do not say is this:

"To lower blade edge in closed position, carefully notch backspacer in safe handle until desired reduction is blade height is achieved."

I was wrong about using pin adjustment for this problem. I notched the backspacer and........voila!

BTW, I wasn't asking about handle parts in this forum for myself......I finally found a work-around for my own bad handle slab......I was asking because a couple of people have emailed me about them.

On a lighter note, I'll be first in line to buy your next balisong kit.

"Ya done good!"

Old 08-26-2003, 10:05 PM

Your Right,
We just assumed folks would take a little off the backspacer to finish it.
Ill revise the instructions.
Thanks
Old 08-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Enthusiast

Alex........

I am not in the habit of using foul language! However, in this case I did use it judiciously to make a point. I was not aware that this is a family channel, and if I have offended anyone......I apologize.

I came late to the party, otherwise I probably would have known that no major spare parts would be available. The rationale still escapes me, but that's MY problem.

I look forward to doing business with you again.

P.S. I've found it easy to fatten stop pins in certain cases, but I have to be completely focused on the task at hand!

In this case, pins were not the solution.

Old 08-27-2003, 05:37 AM

EDC knives now has replacement parts available, including handle slabs! A great place to do business with, in case you didn't know.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:58 AM

Yes ,
Talked to Duane yesterday!
He has everything you need.

Last edited by Darrel Ralph; 08-28-2003 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:53 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrel Ralph
Yes ,
Talked to Duane yesterday!
He has everythnig you need.
And.., for a guy from San Francisco..., Duane is ~> "OK"..

Seriously folks...., you won't do better! Duane is my friend.., but I don't give endorsements lightly. Very good person..., and that's as good as it gets. If you buy nothing.., you should get to know him anyway.

Paladin..., classy way to rectify -stuff-! Most everyone here just wants to see the Typhoon thing take off in a way to let some individual expression enter the realm of Balisongs.., and I admit your initial post struck me as hyper-critical. No one here will ever over-react to critical statements made in the spirit of altering things that need to happen, but naturally..., if something sounds mean-spirited.., it does change the reaction of readers. I certainly appreciate your secondary comments, and I'm sure others do as well.

The pressure to get this project rolling, and get some kits out there was very intense for both Darrel and Alex, and missing some of that history certainly may cloud anyone's perspective on the effort made in simply making it happen!

Now that we've cleared the air on that..., I have to search for my previous posts after what Alex mentioned about the audience....because I may have goofed a few times myself on here forgetting which Forum I was addressing.

Thanks for your reply..., and good luck with the #3 Typhoon project..., really neat knife!

If anyone can buy a Balisong better than a Typhoon for $70.00 with the ability to modify it to your liking.., I'd love to hear about it! An awful lot of knife for the $$$$....

Segue ~~> So any chance of forged Nickel-Carbon blades for the Typhoons Darrel????? .....

Kidding.....Kidding....Kidding....guys/gals.....!!!!!!

Gotta have a little fun on here....

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 08-28-2003 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:03 AM
Administrator

Guys ...

We're not prudes here, but there are certain words that we should all keep low, below the surface. As you note, we're not filtering any words in the software. It's just my job to protect the community members, be they young, old, male, female or like Darrel, just straight out weird.

No, seriously ... it's a testament to our membership that we don't have to sensor the language with filters. The "F" word is fine with me. In fact, we can use it when the situation is right. However, let's reserve it for something or some situation that mirrors using it like a nuke, in analogy! If it's used that way, I have no problem with it. Neither will any one else that reads it. Bad words are for bad situations ... really bad words are for really bad situations, in my opinion. Otherwise, nobody knows when you're really, really mad!

Right?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 08-28-2003, 05:38 AM

Geez, I missed the 'R' rated mutterings before they got edited out... I work in a motorcycle shop, and I NEVER get to hear enough swearing and ranting... he he he!

Coop

PS--Glad this was addressed by a supplier.

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 08-28-2003, 07:08 AM

Yeah, I have ranted about the delivery services myself.

I think Pete stirred the pot
That was a good one Pete!
Old 08-28-2003, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrel Ralph
I think Pete stirred the pot
Pete's like that..........ya know :evil

LIFE/ENDOWMENT/PATRON NRA MEMBER

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, forge, knife, knives