MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 07-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Steel Addict

A Birthday Gift.

My Brother in Law has been on at me for ages to make him a knife so I decided that this year I would make him one for his birthday. (Monday) I sat down with him and talked about what kind of knife he wanted and what shape and size etc.

He wanted a knife to take fishing as he loves his course fishing. The knife is not for the fish but for cutting up bait or cutting a branch from a tree and such. I tried to talk him into having a nice drop point but no, he wanted a clip point.

I thought I had better make it from stainless steel as it may get left in with his fishing tackle on odd occasions. It is also much easier for him to take care of.

The specs are. OAL 195mm with a blade length of 95mm. The steel is 3.2mm thick 154. The blade is flat ground, will have a secondary bevel and the spine has vine filework. The scales are stabilised Black Ash Burl, with 4mm brass pins, 6mm lanyard tube and mosaic pin. The brass bolsters are from 10mm thick brass and add quite a bit of weight to the knife. The BIL wanted it heavyish so with the steel, handles and bolsters it weighs a hefty 8.6 ounces.

I tried my best to make his ideas into a reasonable looking knife and I think it looks pretty good.

I hope you like it, all comments welcome.

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid - Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade. "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall But iron - cold iron is master of them all. Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

Tags
blade, knife