MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:04 PM

Pacific Cutlery Values

What is the going rate for the PC balis now days.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Skilled

Hey Darrel

Tough question to answer without specific models. Most of what Pacific Cutlery made was ground offshore on Siepmann grinders..., including the Model 10, 11, 68, 69 (all 3" blades).., and the International Series + a few in the 2XX series, which were 4" models.

There were a few other "weird ones" they did as production knives at PCC/BM, but I'm leaving those out simply because they take a while to explain.

Those smaller knives (especially the model 68) do a bit better now on the secondary market. $125-$200+ would be the range.., depending on condition.., box and papers, original sheath etc.

As far as the custom knives that Jody ground.., the prices would be all over the map. There are some that are would be worth a ton.., given they are 1 of 1..., Damascus blades.., scrim'd.., engraved...., knives that appeared in magazines...etc., but I'd say a standard PCC custom with skeletonized handles and a common blade shape (i.e., Jody's famous "Weehawk").., would start at about $425.., and go up from there depending on the rarity of the profile, insert material, and of course, the condition of the piece.

5" customs run more primarily because there are less of them.., and 3" customs Jody did are quite rare to find (although there are some out there).

The knives from the original company (Bali-Song, Inc. - '79-'82)..., tend to be a bit more if they are in good condition, and original leather sheaths also add value. Leather sheaths were an option back then (and at PCC), but not something most buyers chose to get because the old "cocoon" style ballistic nylon sheath was very popular. The leather sheaths Les outsourced back then can add as much as $100 (easily) to the price currently, and they are very wellmade sheaths.

Of course any knife Jody signed.., is worth quite a bit more than others. Signed Balisongs from that era (PCC).., are very rare.

In general (and ruling out signed knives).., the rarity of the profile itself tends to effect the price more than other variables, and insert type would be next. For example a "Mariner" blade.., or Sheepsfoot would bring more $$$ simply because Jody didn't do that many.., but Kris blades would still command the most since he did less of those than any other blade shape.

Pictured below is the first titanium handled Balisong ever done (until someone proves otherwise...lol). It's value will be determined at some point, and it is from the early PCC era. Pacific Cutlery Corporation did not mill Ti-Handles at the time, and a man named Nolan Fukawa commissioned Jody to grind the blade through his own business ("Samson Custom Knives"). Dan Fitzgerald.., the PCC photographer at the time, was more-or-less the general contractor on the knife, and got the Damascus from Sid Bert. A man named Gene Ostrand at the old Hughes Aircraft plant in So California milled the handles.., because they were the only shop doing any milling of titanium at the time. Jody ground the blade in late '82.., and Mr. Ostrand completed the handles in early '83, and Mr. Fukawa took delivery on the knife in February '83. It's latchless, and the customer did not want any of the smaller holes between the large countersunk holes, to preserve some weight.

I don't believe PCC did any completed knives with Ti-Handles until about 1987 (near the close of PCC). The Ti just ate up cutters too fast, and made the cost prohibitive. Later.., Benchmade did a few. Dudley has a gorgeous anodized verison that I believe was done in 1991..., but the one below is of historical significance simply because no one ever did the Ti-Handle thing previously... .

Technically it's can't be considered a PCC product, because it's not. I guess it would be called a "Samson Knives/Hughes Aircraft collaboration... .., and I suspect it will bring $2-3K at some point (mostly because of historical value).

It has no markings....(other than Jody's signature)...

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 07-12-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Skilled

Great info Pete,thank's!

I personally love the old custom latchless handles more then any,that extra 1/2" of steel at the handle bottums gives good balance (imo).Now we mostly see the blade coming right to the end of handles which i feel does'nt leave enough room to comfortably munipulate curtain knives.nice pics btw!
Old 07-12-2006, 03:40 PM

Can you ask all of the PC Fans to post there knives.
I am a fan myself.
Pete As always you are a dependable lexicon of information.

Tags
blade, knife, knives