MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 03-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Registered

New Knife

I just got a new knife over the weekend a "butterfly" knife or balisong as I learned recently..The lady behind the counter told me it was a master knives or master cutlery I cant remember wich...Its my first one..I have pictures for anyone who wants to see..I tried searching for it and cant find the maker or a picture of it anywhere so I dont know ...I posted this in general knife discussion befor I knew it was called balisong lol..But here I am..Just have some questions about it..and how do people fling it around like crazy...The only tip I was give was waht handle to hold it by when opening and closeing so it doesnt cut me all up. And the laws..Eveyrones like thats illegal blah blah blah..I got a sheath for it ..The handles lock together..The lady said I couldnt carry it in my pocket..Reason she said that cause I asked if she had any with pocket clips cause i had seen a few with them..and im use to carrying my knife in my pocket..She told me I wasnt aloud..then why the hell do they put clips on them LOL..Anyways is it illegal to carry mine in my pocket with the handles locked without the sheath? or do I have to have it in the sheath on my belt....Also had a problem with it as soon as I got one..The handles were lose and then the screw fell out of hte one handle..Played with it for hours..It was like the threads on the screw were worn out and then it was like the screw coudlnt reach the other part to screw in..So we took a drill and drill the littlest bit down so the screw sat deeper in the handle and it reaches now but I havent been playing with it much so I dont know if it will break again..I hope not..i like the way it looks and feels..the weight and all..THanks for you help in advance

Last edited by Tremulant; 03-13-2005 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:55 PM
Skilled

Well.., you'll have fun with a Master Model.., but it probably won't last long if you get into some consistent manipulations. Their fine for learning with in my opinion.., and generally won't cut you up much (usually not very sharp).

To get into ~~> "The Fling Thing"... Take a look -HERE-. Brouse around a little and check out the "Tips & Tricks" section and you're good to go....

And welcome the Forum... Have fun!

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 03-13-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Skilled

Also.., come back and let us know how you are doing ...., and how fast it takes you to break the pivots on that knife....-sumbliminal hint-....

Old 03-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Registered

well the blade is a verry good blade in my opinion..very sharp..If I enjoy it that much what should I get after I break it into pieces LOL
Old 03-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Skilled

Well.., we'll have to agree to disagree on the blade steel on anything "Master" makes.., but no big deal. If you like it that's all that counts. I've never seen a knife they make that will hold an edge at all.., but if cutting stuff is not a primary concern to you, it's fine to start with.

I'd start checking out Benchmades if you want to keep the pricing reasonable, and you can pick up a BM 42.., or other profile for somewhere in the $100-$150 range without much trouble. You can find them around on various knife sites and/or ebay. If you only end up getting (1) Balisong.., that's what I'd recommend.

You could also consider a "Typhoon" kit (easy to assemble).., and three times the knife of anything Master makes....(around $70.00)...., and a very good deal!

The "Spyderfly" by Spyderco is also far above the Master in quality, and if you get one made early the blade steel is VG10..., very good stuff! They run around $75.00 or so on the auction [I think].., and a few knife sites have them below MSRP.

I don't think the S-Fly handles as well as the other I mentioned, but some really like them.

Take a look and have fun hunting!

www.Benchmade.com

www.KnifeKits.com

www.Spyderco.com

Hope that helps a little....

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 03-13-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Registered

I looked at the benchmade and spyder..I like the bench..But wich is better in some of hte members opinions..I dont want it breaking on me...if I can even break this one..
Old 03-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Skilled

Welcome tremulant,
i have to aggree with examon,the over all quality on the master knives are'nt very good!it might have an adge now but will ware off very quickly,also when you screw the pivot screw back in be very carefull,they strip easily.it's not a bad bali to learn on though,when you do decide to upgrade "and im sure you will" you'll appreciate the quality much more!
Old 03-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Registered

I've been practiceing some of the moves im learning on that one website..balisong extreme or wahtever..downloaded all the videos..and been going over the basic things..IM learning some..But practice makes perfect..the handles coming lose again..very depressing..
Old 03-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Registered

well I amde the handle come off....I was practiceing some moves i learned on that website..I was getting good and combineing some of them...and then the handle flew off.. I dont have the cash right now to buy a nice one..very depressing..Just when Im getting into it..it flies apaart..
Old 03-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Skilled

Go to the hardware store and pick up a $5 dollar bottle of loc-tite,it's a thread locking adhesive.you only need to put a tiny drop on each screw,adjust it to your prefered tension and let it sit for 24 hour's.

that will stop the screws from coming out at all,unless you decide to unscrew them!i'd advise you to do that right away to avoid stripping the screw's from constant adjusting.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:21 AM
Guru

I remember when I bought my first bali... I think I paid in the neighborhood of $35 for it and at the time I thought it was great.. that was a Friday (payday no less), then on Sunday the pins had fallen out and I had no more knife. What worked for me for learning was to just get a cheap flea market bali, I think I paid 5 bucks for it the next weekend and it had pop rivets in it. It was junk, but it went through all of the motions and those rivets weren't going anywhere. If you can't afford the benchmade right now I'd either get a 5 buck deal, or get some loc-tite as mentioned above. I think just about everyone starts with a cheap bali and wears it out in just a few days.

As far as carrying it goes, I'd say "just say no". In my state it's illegal period, sheath, clip, pocket, in your hand, doesn't matter. I think it's that way just about everywhere these days. If you want to have fun and show it to your friends lock in the glove box or something, it's just not worth the hassle if something goes wrong. If you'd like to carry it for self defence you should think about how that will look in a courtroom after the fact. If it's for utility then a pocket knife will probably serve you better.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 03-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Skilled

The legality issues with this knife are the sme as many other items. It depends where you live. There are some places where it is illegal just to own a bali as they are prohibited.

Trenton

Old 03-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcridSaint
As far as carrying it goes, I'd say "just say no". In my state it's illegal period, sheath, clip, pocket, in your hand, doesn't matter. I think it's that way just about everywhere these days.
Good advice! There are very few states that condone carrying a normal sized Balisong...

Not worth risking legal problems in my opinion....

Old 03-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Guru

Sometimes we don't properly consider the "what-ifs". Even if it's totally legal where you live, if you ever have to justify yourself to a jury of your peers or even to a police officer it's just not worth the trouble most of the time. If I ever do end up in a sitution where I have to justify using a knife to a jury I'd much rather it by my edc liner lock than an exotic "weapon" known by many as something that only gangsters and thugs use/carry. Sadly, sometimes right and wrong mean a lot less to other people than appearence.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, folding knife, knife, knives