MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Skilled

Kith Stick Tang build.

This is not my KITH, but since I was already building it I figured I would do a pictorial for the guys who aren't sure where to start.

First I started with a piece of 3/8 1095, you can use what ever steel you want. I drew out the basic outline including the tang then using a side grinder with a slicer wheel (if you don't have one, get it ). Then I ground the knife down to about 90%.

Next I did the heat treat, doing a full quench then tempered. You don't have to do this next step but I wanted the extra strength by doing a soft back draw with the torch.

Next I cut off a piece of bronze and forged it down flat. It's not hard to do, the trick is to not to heat past a dull red or it will break apart. **note, some bronze/brass isn't forgable** Use what ever material for the guard that you'd like.
I then slotted it with a drill, drimmel and file. Take your time with this part, fit up is what sets a so so knife from a wow knife.

For the threaded section I brazed a bolt minus the head onto the tang. Since, if you do this right, the heat will not make it to the recasso and ruin the temper. I whipped up this little jig to make it easier. Some will go ahead and tap the end, doing it this way allows for larger bolts and a stronger unit. Silver solder 45 or 56 are more than addaquate having a tensile strength of 60-70k psi, I used a special nickle copper alloy for tool steel that is stronger still. Since the 5/16 bolt is larger than the 3/8 stock the guard was put on first then brazing took place.

Next the handle materials were fitted together. The larger the pieces the more of a headach to drill through and slot so if you keep them small that will make it easier. I forged out a piece of bronze flat for the pommel cap then silver brazed a threaded insert.

The handle was epoxied, not to glue but to stabilize and seal the handle then screwed together.

Sanded down and ready for the final spit and polish. The piece at the guard is antler with leather/red plastic/brass spacers and mesquite burl.

Last edited by jmccustomknives; 08-20-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Skilled

Fantastic WIP ... Thank you !!!
I sure it will help me and many others!

Tags
1095, art, back, brass, build, building, drill, file, flat, forged, glue, grinder, guard, handle, heat, heat treat, jig, knife, make, material, materials, solder, steel, stick tang, tang