MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:48 AM

I should get my part of this one knocked out this weekend. I'll post some pics if I can.

I'll send my profile sketch with the final grindlines I was envisioning as well as the handle profile it was designed for, included. These features are solely the province of the maker who is doing these steps, but I think it'll help make sense of the profile and pre HT grinding.

I'll grind to about 75-80% so we don't risk warpage.

Remember, we ship before the last day of this month!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-05-2007, 07:26 AM
Living Legend

My shop will be up & running in time for the Doctor part. Can't wait.

Jim

Old 04-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
I have been playing around with the shape a bit. Did one "test" blade in 1075 with a curved clip and one full tang in W2 with a straight clip at Batsons. Haven't decided which i prefer, but i will probably attempt the actual blade tommorow. I think I will do one in W2 and one from the O1 bar i found and send the better of the two. I will probably use my Camillus Fisk OVB fighter as a size template because it is about the same dimensions as a Randall 14.
Joe
Old 04-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Hall of Famer

That C,F.OVB is a sweet design.
Joe its just you and me on this knife with Andrew making the sheath.Will you be sending me a finished blade ready for guard and handle?I have very limited experiance with non stainless steels.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Guru

I'll be ready. if a doctor doesn't jump in soon, I will do that stage on this knife also. Currently debating the full tang vs hidden tang. Will try and post pics after forging.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 04-13-2007, 04:34 AM

That groundhog was full of #*!% man!

I've been hoping for a nice day to open up the garage and get to work... and we get snow today!

There's groundhog stew being served in Punxatauney! (I'm sure I murdered the spelling)

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Guru

Don't worry Andrew, it is a great day today! Sunny, no wind, probably get into the 70's!

I am thinking of getting this one hammered out this weekend, hopefully that will happen, try and post picts as I go.

--Carl

Old 04-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Skilled

That is the plan, Andy. As for minor finishing, I don't think W2 is going to be that different from what you use. Do you buff your blades? The quandry for me will be which one to send. I have a little 7 x 1 1/8-1/4 x 1/4 thick fighter blade set up to have the tang threaded. It is probably going to turn out pretty nice, but I just forged, rough ground and normalized a bigger 9 inch blade that would not be considered a military style knife unless you happened to be in the miltary in the mid 1800's BUT, it is probably the best blade i have forged to date......unless I manage to screw it up. It would also be a good challenge for you, Andy, in that is is quite different than anything you have on your website and might require you to stetch out a bit as far as the guard and handle design go. So......what do you think? And no, I'm not going to tell you exactly what style the blade is........that is part of the challenge. You have to decide sight unseen.
Joe

Last edited by jdm61; 04-13-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast

Andy,
I was sitting at the traffic light this morning getting jittery with antcipation about the blade coming my way. I can hardly wait. Need to get back into my shop this week-end and warm things up. I've been out of there for about three weeks now.
Last time I was in there was Fourth week in March, I was finishing an oyster knife for a trip to Apalachicola, FL .(oyster capital of the Gulf Coast). It worked great. But I haven't been back in the shop since.
Stay in touch, I keep an eye on the forums but seldom comment.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Joe,
I can buff or do a hand satin finish.Depends on the blade and the handle material it demands.I do like a challange.I will do my best to do justice to whichever you decide.This is a very nerve wracking thing.You can't even start to plan anything till you get the blade.This is great,because you'll be in the dark until Andrew finishes the sheath and posts the final pics.Or are we posting pics at the end of each stage?

Old 04-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1
Joe,
I can buff or do a hand satin finish.Depends on the blade and the handle material it demands.I do like a challange.I will do my best to do justice to whichever you decide.This is a very nerve wracking thing.You can't even start to plan anything till you get the blade.This is great,because you'll be in the dark until Andrew finishes the sheath and posts the final pics.Or are we posting pics at the end of each stage?
Opps!!!! too late......i got greedy and stamped my name on it. It is a 9 inch southwestern bowie. So a back to our regularly scheduled program
Old 04-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Thats one way to make a keeper.Or after I finish I'll put my name under yours.Then Andrew can mark the sheath.Or I'll do whatever you send

Old 05-01-2007, 12:50 AM

Time's up!

Let's get 'em shipped to the next guy! The one in my care is going out tomorrow.

I finished number one to 120G. The bevels aren't as deep as I would've done if I were HTing it, but I thought I'd be cautious since that step is up to Scott and I'm not sure what he's planning.

I also left the tang undrilled, so Jim can have as much freedom as he needs with balancing the final weight and setting a pin pattern.

Scott, I went with an 8" wheel for the primary grinding, but it's up to you how to finish the bevels. I'll send my concept drawing with the knife. You may take what you wish from that, but the finish on the steel is up to you brother! Please send the concept drawing on to Jim when you finish with your part, so he can see what kind of handle I was thinking about when I designed the blade.

Jim, I did take the liberty of drilling a small thong hole in the rear part of the tang that was designed to protrude like a skull crusher (to show off Delbert's kick _ss damascus). You'll see what I mean when you see the drawing.

Have fum with it Scott! I'll take a picture in the morning before I head out to ship it.

www.kansasknives.org

Old 05-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Living Legend

Looking forward to it. Get 'er done!

I'm available if you need some help on the third one as well.

Jim

Old 05-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Guru

Jim,

There are two slots on that one, I was going to do heat treat, so I stayed out of the shop last weekend when my back went out, but if you would like to take on that slot, I can have the blade to you in a week or so. Let me know, and I will adjust what I was going to do to it.

There is also the Tailor slot if you want to take that on.

--Carl

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives