MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Steel Addict

I have been getting the steel from Jantz bar stock
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Steel Addict

Did you use different steel or technique in this one than you did the last one? I'm only asking because I remember the last knife you showed turned out pretty good. Are you doing something different or did you just take the grind higher? I've noticed that for me it seems like the higher the grind gets the harder it is to keep it straight. I've been using the precision ground A2 from Jantz. It's more expensive, but it is almost beautiful just as a bar. The first knife I made from a file I ground the teeth off of, and I can tell you there is a world of difference working with the precision ground. Well worth the extra cost in my opinion.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsmith111 View Post
...I can tell you there is a world of difference working with the precision ground. Well worth the extra cost in my opinion.
Absolutely! I agree 100%.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Master

I bought a 4x36 belt sander that infuse to quickly flatten the steel before I profile. It seems to do the truck quite well. If I use that belt sander after I profile it gives a little distal taper so you have to be careful. After I grind my bevels in I always draw file them to correct any mistakes. I think your blade looks salvageable.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Steel Addict

CBSMITH Same steel same grinder same jig. I just think the steel was bent some, I looked at the left over, it seems to have a swoop in it . Next one Ill flat grind both sides before I start. Ill look into the presicion stock next order.

metal thanks for the advise
Old 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Skilled

I have a hard time with getting straight grind lines as well, to compensate for my crappy grinding skills i use a knife design that looks good with grind lines halfway up as well as at the spine. That way if i screw up the grind i still have a second chance at a successful build. Seems like a good way to get practice without throwing away a ton of steel.

As long as we are on the subject of grinding ive been having trouble with getting the point of the blade to thickness before the belly of the curve gets too thin. But it only seems to happen on when grinding to my left. Has anyone had this issue or heard of it?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Steel Addict

jdale
I noticed the same issue with my grinding, seems like the point end, inch or so long remains thicker. I think I may be pulling to fast when I get to the point maybe?? I always have to go back at an angle to fix it.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
I have a hard time with getting straight grind lines as well, to compensate for my crappy grinding skills i use a knife design that looks good with grind lines halfway up as well as at the spine. That way if i screw up the grind i still have a second chance at a successful build. Seems like a good way to get practice without throwing away a ton of steel.

As long as we are on the subject of grinding ive been having trouble with getting the point of the blade to thickness before the belly of the curve gets too thin. But it only seems to happen on when grinding to my left. Has anyone had this issue or heard of it?
You are either changing the pressure of the blade against the belt, or changing the angle as you grind the curve in the blade.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Steel Addict

Back on track

I have been super busy lately. I had an hour or so to file I have a new appreciation for file work, wow felt like I had a workout.
Think I'm back on track

Last edited by JawJacker; 12-03-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Steel Addict

Looks like you straightened it out pretty good.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Steel Addict

OK I saved this so far

I changed this up a bit I'm happy so far. I have to finish the handle then M-Mark and sharpen.

Last edited by JawJacker; 02-10-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Steel Addict

I like it. Nice, tasteful clip point. Very clean, neat, and tasteful thumb notches or whatever you want to call them. That's a good looking blade. The radiuses of the grip curves look a little harsh to me, but how do they feel? Overall, a fine job in my opinion.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Steel Addict

Im done now with this, Im happy its going to my Dad for Christmas, I want to keep it, its my best so far.
Cbsmith it feels great in my hands Thanks Merry Christmas

Thanks everyone I learned a ton on this one.

Last edited by JawJacker; 02-10-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Tags
advice, art, back, bee, blade, chris, christmas, edge, flat, grinding, hammer, handle, heat treat, home, how to, jig, knife, knives, lights, make, making, sand, steel, stock removal, surface