MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:50 AM
Registered

How to Install a Clip

I bought a clip from Knifekits.com and the FLX25 Kit. However, I did not find any instructions on how to install the clip.

It looks like I will need to drill and tap 3 holes. As well what is the best place to install the clip?
Old 06-14-2015, 12:52 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yes, you will need to drill and tap 3 holes on that kit. Where you mount the clip depends on whether you like to carry the knife point down or point up because that affects how you deploy the knife.

That particular kit is not a good candidate for a pocket clip which is probably why it isn't offered with one. To install a clip you must be able to tap the metal frame. If you tap the bolster then it looks to me like you would need to bend the dickens out of the clip in order to clear those scales which are so high above the bolsters. If you mount on the other end then you need screws long enough to reach through the wood to get to the metal frame. I don't like using long screws on a clip but on that knife that could be the best choice. You could mill out some of the wood where the clip mounts to let the clip seat a little lower.

Give one of those options a try. If you aren't happy with the results then look at some of the kits produced by Darrel Ralph, also on knifekits.com, that have the scales and the bolsters at the same height. That will simplify adding a clip and they are much higher quality knives ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-14-2015, 03:10 PM
Registered

Dang, that's what I was thinking. The way the site layout is, I assumed a clip was an additional add on. Not part of the base kit. The site could really use a lot of work, I found it very confusing on exactly what was offered.

I'd rather leave the clip off on this one and buy another kit that would work better with a clip.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:45 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

That sounds like the best approach to me. When you do add a clip drill and tap one hole first. Attach the clip with the one screw, then drill and tap the second hole using the clip as a pattern. Attach the clip with two screws and then drill the third hole. It's a bit of a pain doing it this way but, if you do, it all but guarantees that the holes will align properly with the clip. Trying to mark the hole positions and drill them all at once would be a losing proposition for most new makers ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
bolster, bolsters, darrel, darrel ralph, drill, flx25, how to, kit, kits, knife, knifekits, knifekits.com, knives, makers, metal, mill, mount, pattern, pocket, pocket clip, ralph, scales, tap, wood