MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast

Snow day damascus hunter

I live in Texas, where three snowflakes in a row are enough to close the schools. This is our fourth or fifth snow day this winter, and we usually only have one or sometimes two. Since we've had so many, I took off a half a day of work. In addition to playing in the ice with my kids, I also got enough shop time to finish up this knife. My grandpa used to have a hat that said, "I finally got it all together but I forgot where I put it." This knife is kind of the opposite of that. I bought a bar of 1084/15n20 random Damascus off of Knifedogs about 4 years ago. I found it a few weeks ago and finally decided to make a knife or two out of it. The handle material also comes with a story. About four years ago, a local knifemaker passed away. About two years ago, I bought a bunch of his equipment and handle material. This month, through another connection, we ended up going to the guy's house. All the original owners are gone, but there was still some handle material around, so I made them an offer. It had just been sitting in a cabinet since the day he died. This piece of stabilized blackwood was in the batch I just bought, which also included several stag tapers, crowns, rolls, and an oosic. So from forgotten wood and forgotten Damascus, I made this knife. OAL is 9 1/4 with a blade length of 3 7/8. Guard is 416 with a 416 and a black fiber spacer. Probably will be on the table at the Lone Star show in April, unless I send it home with somebody before then.

Critical feedback welcome.
Jason

Last edited by Jason Fry; 02-11-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Skilled

Jason, I know that I could recognize one of your knives from across a room. The llines you create are very distinct in a subtle way. Very nice to say the least. I especially like the way you relieved the edges of the guard on this one.

I'll never forget I went to the Louisville guild show this past September with $200 to buy some steel, pinstock and rams horn slabs. After meeting and speaking with you, I came very near walking out without the materials and with one of your knives instead! Lol...

I hope to be able to build knives close to what you do on a regular basis.

Well done sir.

Alex

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 02-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

Stuart Smith does make a bunch of guards similar to this one. John Doyle does some also. Karl Andersen is the one who does the beveled/pinched front edge of the guard. I copy from whomever's work I like
Old 02-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Enthusiast

Every knife needs a good story. Yours has two.

Tags
1084, bee, blade, build, damascus, forge, forging, guard, handle, handle material, home, horn, hunter, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, make, material, materials, pins, pinstock, spacer, stag, steel