MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 06-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Skilled

Second Knife finally FINISHED!

I hope it's not too pretentious for a newbie to post in the 'Display Case'...
(Duplicated post from newbie area at CKD, but eveybody seems to be moved here already)

Well I finally got #2 done. This wouldn't have been possible without the wonderful community here.

Knife is 5.25" overall w/ 2.5" O1 blade. Jeweled liners, fileworked spine, mammoth ivory scales, and cold-blued bolsters. Thumb stud is a made-from scratch cold-blued button.

Knife was designed using elements of Ray Roger's tutorial, and constructed using Don Robinson's "My Way" procedures. Both were of imense help. Special thanks also to many of you who didn't even know you were helping, like Dave Kelly for his example, Jason Cutter for detailed O1 heat treatment instructions, and Dennis Greenbaum for "S" filework tips. The list goes on and on. This place is great. Thanks all around.

I don't have a place to host, so I created a personal gallery in the gallery area, and linked to it below. It was really easy. I hope everybody starts creating personal galleries so I can look at your work.

-Ben

ps - This was a father's day gift for my wife's Dad. He digs it.

Last edited by Messinger; 06-21-2004 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:45 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Pretentious? Nah.

Great knife. I love the shape of the handle, but the blade seems a little short. Is that all the blade you could fit into the handles, or is it a perspective trick? Great knife, though. I've got a real itch to make folders, but so far, they have eluded me.

Nice work.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 06-21-2004, 04:03 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Saunders
Pretentious? Nah.

Great knife. I love the shape of the handle, but the blade seems a little short. Is that all the blade you could fit into the handles, or is it a perspective trick? Great knife, though. I've got a real itch to make folders, but so far, they have eluded me.

Nice work.

Thanks Jamey,
That's all the blade I could fit in there. Folded, the tip is actually only about 1/64" inside the end of the handle. Two things are causing this "short blade" look - The shape plays a trick on the eye, but the main cause is the pivot is set back from the front of the bolsters quite a bit. I had to do this because I used a 3/16" pivot with a .310" bushing w/ washers riding to the outside of the bushing. That all took up a lot of space. I've refined the pattern since I got this one underway and will be able to get the pivot at least another 1/8" closer to the front of the bosters next time. That should help balance it out a bit I hope. I'm getting a better process down for my pivots and finding that when they're good I don't need a broad washer.

-Ben
Old 06-21-2004, 04:06 PM

Hey Ben-

Looks great...very nice job.

Fit and finish appear to be first rate.

Looks like you nailed the "Lazy S" filework pattern...I really love to see when someone's cared enough to keep their filework patterns consistent, and that can be especially tricky with this "S" pattern. It's obvious you took the time required to "tweak" it into shape...
Well Done Sir!

I do have to agree with Jamey about the blade length...Otherwise, super job!

I know your Daddy-in-Law has got to be impressed.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 06-21-2004, 04:34 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
Hey Ben-
Looks like you nailed the "Lazy S" filework pattern...I really love to see when someone's cared enough to keep their filework patterns consistent, and that can be especially tricky with this "S" pattern. It's obvious you took the time required to "tweak" it into shape...
Well Done Sir!
Thanks Dennis. I'm dissapointed in how the pictures turned out - I really wanted the filework to show more clearly in the photo because I was really happy with how the spine turned out and wanted you to see what you taught me. I blued the spine and then polished the top lightly with steel wool just enough to contrast it with the lows, but not fully removing the patina. I think it worked nicely. It gave a subtle contrast and I like the color. Too late for more pictures though. This knife has left the nest.

-Ben
Old 06-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Skilled

Ben, I'm really glad you posted this beauty in the display case where it belongs!
It's a great knife and I'm sure you scored major points with your Father in law with this one. I see you won the battle with the wooly mammoth. Just to have as a reference I was given this formula by Johnny Stout a while back.

Quote:
Another formula that I use is to measure the blade length from the front of the bolster, and divide the length of the handle into it, and try to get as close to 80% as you can get. This will give you the maximum blade length, into the shortest handle. This is all determined by the placement of the pivot pin, and the overall design of the knife. If you look at a lot of knives in the magazines, you'll see a lot of folders with a 3 1/2" blade, and 5" handles, which is usually a clue that it's from a new maker.
Looking forward to #3 in the display case, Dave

Tags
blade, knife, knives