MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 02-10-2005, 04:26 PM

Daniel Winkler - small damascus utility knife

We picked this up in Reno at the ABS show recently. Dan Winkler makes some terrific knives, big beautiful, even stunning pieces. This is not one of those, but it is none the less a nice piece that evokes thoughts of every-day life long ago and far away. It is not a big knife; blade is about 3 1/4 inches. It could be worn around the neck, shoulder or waist. It is, is effect a 'squaw knife.' Sheath is by Karen Shook, and there is a companion woven leather neck/waist strap not included in the picture. Karen said the few beads she used in decorating the sheath are old and authentic. This was a gift for 'my attractive wife' who is accumulating a nice collection of smaller knives, minis and such.

Here's the thumbnail. Click to enlarge..............

[ Fixed the link: Terry Primos ]

Last edited by Terry Primos; 02-10-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Skilled

Buddy:

I am getting the dreaded "This Page Cannot Be Displayed"
Old 02-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Me too!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 02-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

It's fixed now. Very nice knife.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 02-10-2005, 07:10 PM

Terry,
Thanks, man! How'd you do that? I figured if the thumbnail displayed then the 'click to enlarge' function was good to go. I did try it in preview mode - page would not display - went back to phototime, created a new link and pasted it etc. - still didn't work. I concluded it was an issue with phototime. Since all websites generate 'cannot display page' messages from time to time, what with updates, web traffic jams etc., I figured I'd give it time and it would probably work later. I see that I was mistaken but am confused about what was actually the problem.
Very much appreicate your fixing it even though you should be out in your shop making more knives for the show this weekend.!
Buddy
Old 02-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Master

Buddy, I clicked on it earlier to see that the new window's URL had one too many "http://www" in it. All I did was delete the extra portion and your link displyed just fine.

By the way, that is a great score for you and your wife. I've always admired Daniel's work.

Chris
Old 02-10-2005, 07:37 PM

Beautiful knife and wonderful image. Now THAT'S unusual having the rough forged look with damascus. I like the whole shebang.

Thanks,

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Buddy,
Like Chris said, it had an extra "http://www" in it. I just removed the extraneous data from the link for you.

########### Off Topic #

[ He comes back and say's ... ]
I just saw the part about how I should be out in the shop getting ready for the show. I finished everything that I'll be able to take along yesterday. Today I've been busy getting everything ready to go. In morning we'll just fire up the truck and head out.

I only have four knives to take along since I screwed up a really nice little Bowie, and of the four I'm taking, three of them are deliveries to folks who had orders. There's going to be some folks mad at me again. It happens at every show I attend. But I can't help it. I can only make so many knives.

########## Back on Topic (sort of) #

Daniel Winkler seems to be a real nice guy. I know we all say that about each other, but I seriously liked chatting with him at both the last Moran Expo, and the last ABS Hammer-in at Old Washington. Both times he was a kind, down-to-earth, soft-spoken gentleman.

He's also a very good demonstrator. He did a demo at the Moran shindig and it was quite good. It's one thing to be a talented smith. It's another thing altogether to be an effective teacher. I was impressed all the way around. I hope we can have him down at Old Washington doing a demo some time.

Click the banner above to visit my website

Last edited by Terry Primos; 02-10-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Skilled

Another great knife, another great pic. Keep 'em coming!

Roger
Old 02-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Hall of Famer

I am really growing fond of intrigals. Plus, I like "forge finishes", and like Coop pointed out, a Damascus blade that's forge finished isn't common. It the handle material Mammoth Ivory or antler? It looks to be MI to me, not sure. Great score Buddy et al. Karen's sheath is very well done also, she came across with the period look just great. You need to hold a one man show someday, for knifemakers/collectors Buddy. You have a museum of quality knives, and related items. Maybe at least some sort of photographic album. That shouldn't take to long, just a few years )

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 02-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Guru

That is one of the sweetest knives I have ever seen!!!!

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives