MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Steel Addict

Veterans Day

Let's take a moment this day to reflect on our freedoms and think about the ones that have fought and in some cases,died to make sure we have them.According to some news media,it may not be the popular thing to do...but it's dam sure the right thing to do.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:49 AM
Clive's Knives

T-Wolf,you certainly did not get a shower of responses to your thread.
Here in Australia things are turning around and we are getting bigger crowds to our rememberance day parades and services.
I think that the 'Dawn Parade' 'Anzac Day' here in Brisbane was a record crowd for many years.
Seems the younger people want to know about it all and so many parade wearing the medals of a deceased,close relation.
You my friend have the right attitude and this will rub off onto someone.
Cheers,Clive.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:47 AM

I just found this thread.

I go to the Veteran's Memorial Park here in Wichita twice a year--Memorial day and Veteran's Day. It's my opportunity to dust of that silly little VFW hat and go take a stroll through what is a very pretty part of our city. Read on if you'd care to share my experience.

The path winds through some trees of all colors with leaves scattered about this time of year. First there's the Gold Star Mother's Memorial--a simple bench with bronze plaques on the ground. That is followed by the Purple Heart Memorial. As you walk ahead, a lone black stone slab on a small hillside to the right bears the POW MIA emblem. Just ahead--the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial and the huge Korean War Memorial, complete with a torrie gate and with very impressive historical information, stand at the center of the park. All the flags everywhere are new and crisp and snap softly in the light breeze. Then the path winds down by the Arkansas River where the beautiful Keeper of the Plains monument, by renouned Native American artist Blackbear Bosin, sits at the confluence of the two rivers and towers over the whole area with firey pyres all around the base. Directly across the river is Exploration Place, a masterpiece of architecture and a leading center of Kansas history and scientific education. That's when you come to the stark, black monolith that is the Marine Memorial--simple and imposing. Near there, the Merchant Marine Memorial stands and points out that more MMs were killed in WWII than Marines with a far higher KIA rate among their casualties. A WWII era submarine is memorialized next with an early style torpedo on display. The Pearl Harbor Memorial is the last combat action commemorated on the walk. The last display is the Flag Pavillion. Here, fresh new flags of every style which has flown on US soil since our land was discovered are displayed on a semi-circle of poles, with detailed histories at each base--very impressive. A quiet walk back to the parking lot through the trees along the river-front gives time to reflect. It's always a great visit, and makes me proud of my country.

As a veteran, I am very proud and very greatful to be counted in such company. In the final analysis, when I am asked who I was in life, I will say, "I was a veteran."

Thank you to all who served.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."