MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 04-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Josh O Mason

Aww...I am a Kentucky minter....(actually from Kentucky too...)

I had no idea...

I'd like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable about old pocketknives and things, and would be apprehensive in doing what I do to something that I think has some value.

The knives I have done up real pretty like that have been everyday users, knives that are just complete abominations, or knives that are common, and arent very valuable at all.

Still...I feel a bit dumb.

Last edited by Josh O Mason; 04-01-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Living Legend

Why you wascaly rabbit.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Josh O Mason
The more I think about it...the more it's really burning my ass.

I feel like such a #### moron. I thought what I did was good.

Last edited by Josh O Mason; 04-02-2006 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:09 AM

"...blade turned blue, but I just sanded that off..."

hehe. That's funny stuff brother!

BTW, I'm vacationing in Sandusky this June. Should I make an appointment or just show up for some ink? I'll bring the stencil.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhrocker
Roc, on the 2nd blade that you ground on some, you could have made a screwdrive from it, since there isn't much left to be a blade. That way, you have one nice blade, plus a tool to boot! I have an old one here in the drawer I might send to you for a "tune up" like you did on this one. Good work!
This thread clued me in to what you guys were up to, and i realized it was april first.

Bob
Old 04-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Don't worry about it Josh. I was a bit (quite a bit) shocked when I first learned about that also. I did not even glance at your location and meant no disrespect. I am sure it is a regional thing and what ever rival state that is next to wherever you live takes a ribbing. One of my favorite knives I own is a Buck 110 modified into a swichblade made in a little machine shop nestled in the hills of Kentucky. I am not a knife cleaning expert, but I think all that other stuff you do to them is great. As you know, pocket knives pick up a lot of gooey gunk and need a good deep cleaning every once in awhile. There are times when there are no other alternatives but to sand some red rust to stop it from continueing, and is appropriate as well as nesessary. Besides, if you buy a knife, it is your personal property to do with what you wish. Some people argue that one back and forth. Once I get a knife I am not likely to sell it, so they can fight about what I did to them when I am dead. Still, I believe we are only caretakers of timeless objects and should repect them, their history and their future.

A friend of mine works on a garbage truck. After he learned I like knives he started noticing them and picking them up for me. Now these knives were destined for the landfill. If not for me and Mike they would be laying in the ground rusting to bits. Does that make them totally mine and subject to any E-ville experiments I deem nesessary? I hear them shaking over there in the drawer now. "Settle down fellas" You know I ain't gonna grind on ya's.......anymore"

Folding Bowie???

I am assuming evey one has read the folding bowie thread on this forum and seen the pics of these two poor orfinks.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Steel Addict

Now that was funny. I wanted to post to it, but thank God I didn't.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Well, HDN, you really had me going there!

I thought you were serious and didn't say anything because I didn't want to embarrass you.

You're the first and only one to play an April fools joke on me this year.

I think???
Old 04-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks Don, I could sense a lot of toungue biting going on out there. Just lucky I did not have to look you all in the eye and tell that whopper. I don't think I could have kept a straight face. Like Andy pointed out, "The blades got a little blue, but I sanded that all off" I was afraid that was a bit much, but could not resist. Please, if I ever post any major blunders, do not hesitate to point it out. Thanks again to all for indulging me. Special thanks to all that pointed out that they thought I had made a mistake and to those that resisted the urge to really tear me a new one. I hope anyone that may still be steamin, comes to find a little humor in it.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Living Legend

Roc, do all the folding bowies in your possession have the same "carving" pattern in the Stagalon? I was quite surprised how close these were, though a careful look exposes subtle differences. I wonder how they do that; molded scale-by-scale or some type of heat embossing process?

Good con! Helps to have an accomplice.

Last edited by fitzo; 04-02-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Here are some close-ups to compare Mike. I will down size them later. The Uncle Henry you gave me is the only other staglon I have (top pic) and it looks completely different. If I see any others of this model Kabar 1184 I will grab some pics to compare. What do you think after looking at them close? Remember I had to switch the emblems in photo shop for the joke. They are back to normal in the pic below.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 04-03-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Master

man...... I'm realy glad I didn't say anything..... It never entered my mind that this could have been a joke- We don't observe april 1st as april fools day, as its my Dads birthday.....

Good one Roc!
Gary

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Living Legend

Very interesting to look at, Roc. Thanks for taking the time to post those. The two Kabars are identical. I looked for a similarity in the Schrade, but couldn't see where it may be a different orientation or something on that order. Do you figure Schrade was making the Kabar, too?

Jeesh, now I'm interested in the "history of Staglon". Who'd'a thunk it, eh? LOL
Old 04-03-2006, 06:06 AM
Hall of Famer

Fitz, I don't know. They could have. Back in the day those old companies traded patterns, out soursed work and were even jobbers for each other. Schrade has a very interesting history. Inovators in the switchblade market, the founder George's "springer" assets and company was confiscated by the German government. He sold Pressbutton to Walden when times got bad, invented and sold many designs on automated auto knife making machines. Out of my rear end I would say the KBar Grizzly swich blade was probably his design as well as the KA-BAR springers called lever locks. There were three or four Schrade brothers plus their sons all in the biz. Hard to keep straight.

Before KA-BAR was K-BAR it was Union Cutlery. You know the old tail about how a customer wrote to Union about how he "Kilt a Bar" meaning Killed a bear with one of their knives. Supposedly , they were so impressed they started stamping it on their blades and eventually changed the name of the company. Other people say KA-BAR is an abreveation for "Case brothers in law". As the founders of Union cut. co. they were said to be related to the Case family thru marrage. Somebody ought to make a movie. I prefer the first story,cuz it's cooler, but sometimes it is hard to know what to believe. Here is a pic of a few different makes of folding bowie to compare the pattern.

The stagalon is growing on me also. If only I could make a handle material as handsome and durable. Time and energy. I am running short on both.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 04-03-2006 at 12:02 PM.

Tags
blade, folding knife, forge, knife, knife making, knives, switchblade