MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Thanks for sharing that photo Ebb. I gotta get off my butt and finish my copy. I bought a few of these Lee Olsen 1095 blanks to make a set of coffin handled steak knives.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 08-16-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Hall of Famer

That would be a great tatoo Roc!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 08-16-2006, 01:23 PM

Sorry I haven't jumped in on this thread until now but I'll add what I can. There doesn't seem to be much connection between Scagel and Moran in terms of style and influences. One could speculate but that's all it would be. I see them as somewhat separate 'trunks' of the modern handmade knife tree. Each has become associated with a phenomenon that is too narrow to encompase the scope of their work; Scagel with Randall Made Knives and Moran with Bowie knives and Damascus steel. Then there's Loveless as another trunk of the tree. This is a very artificial metaphor though because the history of the knife is such that everything came from something that came before it, so on and so forth, around and around etc.

I do have some interesting pictures I can add even if I can't add much else. Here is the Moran knife I wrote about in the July 2006 issue of BLADE. I had originally titled the article "A Moran Blade - 35 year long-term road test" but the editor changed it to something else. BR Hughes is holding the knife for me - those are his hands (very distinctive) and I motion-blurred the background to create a title page opportunity for the editor. Turned out kind of neat, IMO.

The snapshot below was taken by BR Hughes of me with Bill Moran autographing a picture of the last blade Bill ever forged - a carbon steel blade that the ABS Mastersmiths then on the board finished off for auction at the BLADE show two years ago. I got it for a ridiculously low price (compared the the Damascus blade auctioned this past June that brought 37.5K - a blade Bill forged some 5 years or so before his death but definitely the last Damascus blade he ever forged.) When I won the knife in the picture I didn't know it was Bill's last blade. That came out later in a discussion with Jay Hendrickson who is now executor of Bill's estate. BTW, all of Bill's effects, including his personal belt knife mentioned above are going into a museum with planning currently under way. I'm blessed to have gotten to know Bill Moran a little bit at least, and naturally proud to own the last blade ever forged by him. Ironically (and predictably, given the vagaries of human nature) conflicting reports exist about what exactly was the last Moran-forged blade. I bought the blade not knowing its history and status and thus I don't plan to involve myself in those kinds of discussions. I predict that many "last" Moran blades will appear, for example, on eBay in the years to come as dollar-driven people attempt to plunder his good name for profit.

And finally, here are three pictures of a really super Moran blade auctioned at the ABS Reno Show two years ago for 15K. Jason Knight was the custodian so to speak, bidding on behalf of an absentee buyer. It's a beautiful knife, to be sure.

I think Bill Moran will always be remembered for, among other things, his shapely, highly figured Maple handles with silver wire inlay.

I have many 'favorite' Scagel blades (pictures of Scagel blades I should clarify) but the big one below is certainly near the top of the list. It belongs to an annonymous person but will definitely be featured in Jim Lucie's Scagel book which is now in the works. This is a large knife and the fully sharpened double edge with its beautiful curves is "so Willie" (that's what Scagel's father called him - 'Willie'). I've showed this blade to several accomplished bladesmiths and all (so far) have shrunk from the challenge of duplicating it! Can't say I blame them!

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 08-16-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Robert, how about a mesquite sheath with a little silver inlay and throat hardware, ala Micheal Price.[/QUOTE]

Sure Roc, I'd try it one of these days. What kind of throat hardware you talking about? Can you send me a sketch?

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 08-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Robert, I was thinking something like this with wood replacing the leather, maybe a little shooting star inlay. Frog optional.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Skilled

Great pics Buddy! Love that Scagel.

Regarding the price paid for that last Moran damascus blade...I tought it sold for 10k more.for a total of 37,500. BIG bucks either way.

FYI, The bowie I posted I call "Wicked Willie" A name my father called me when I was young. My first name is William.
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"
Old 08-16-2006, 05:21 PM

Thanks for pointing out my error, Mace. You are quite right and I've edited my post above to reflect the correct amount.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 08-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Great post Buddy. Thanks for sharing that.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Buddy said: "I've showed this blade to several accomplished bladesmiths and all (so far) have shrunk from the challenge of duplicating it! Can't say I blame them"

Rocker said: See, therein lies the problem, you keep showing it to "accomplished bladesmiths"! They know better. They know they can't recreate each and every part of that Scagel knife.
I, on the other hand, am not "accomplished", and don't know any better, therefore I'd be happy to give it a try

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 08-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Skilled

All these knives are great! I keep checking out that Scagel......he must have felt real good when he finnished that one....I love the guard.
Buddy, Can you get a tracing of this knife?
Mace

Oh yeah, That wire inlay is sweet!

www.laurelrockforge.com

Old 08-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

My pleasure, puttin the pic up...RS said it wasn't for sale...not like I could reach it if it were.
Mace, I meant to say this earlier...that is one beautiful knife that you made.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Mace, I sent a PM but it got bounced back to me. What is the length of your blade from the tip to the start of the handle? OAL? Finally, the width of the handle, I love that thin look it has. What an exceptional knife, did you keep it?

My last aprentice knife was Moran inspired.
Mace

[/QUOTE]

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 08-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Skilled

Thanks a lot for the nice comments fellas.

Robert, The blade is 6-3/4" from tip to guard.....1-1/8" wide.

The handle is 4-3/8" from front of guard to the back....and about a half inch thick.

I would love to see more knives from these great men....I wonder....did Scagel do any coffin handles?
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

Tags
blade, knife, knives