MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 01-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Hall of Famer

My RAW program

Guys, I've been doing all of my RAW experimenting in a program called Image Data Converter. It came with my Sony f828. When I decided to strickly use PS CS for this, the images won't load into PS. Is there a way/place I can go to in order to see if PS does or does not support the Sony, and if there is, how to get the images there. Thanks.
Note: I like the Image Data Converter controls and settings, but it doesn't hold a candle to what's available on PS CS.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Steel Addict

Robert look here. http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows You need to download ACR 2.3 at least. I believe this support the F828. I am currently using the beta version of ACR 2.4 with no problems. It also see the F828. The canon 20D is unofficially supported in 2.3 and can see the thumbnails. It is officially supported in the beta 2.4. No one has had any problems with 2.4 as far as I have heard. As cameras come out Adobe has to figure out the RAW for that camera which seem to be all different. Then they put out the update.

Starting with 2.3 you get more functions overall in ACR.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks Glen, that should get me started!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Glen, I downloaded the 2.4 beta, it's sure nice. It's 10+ times better than the little program that came with my camera package. I'm processings prints now that Really suit me. Are there any other downloads that you'd suggest? I have the intellisharpen plug-in(come to think of it, that may not work with the RAW format), and the FM-frames plug-in, but that's about it.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Steel Addict

Robert the workflow I use is to get it as close as possible to what I want in ACR 2.4 and then do the final touchups in Photoshop. That is where Intellisharpen comes in. There are no plug-ins that actually work in ACR, they just work in Photoshop. Photoshop CS is all you really need (in addition to your Intellisharpen). If you learn to work in Levels and Curves as well as Hue/Saturation you will be stylin'. The Shadows/Highlights command is one to master as well and it comes in very handy for knife shots. It lets you work with opening up the shadow details and controlling highlights. I like to use it at times in small doses to help even out certain images. You can access it in PS CS under Image>Adjustments>Shadow/Highlights.

The big one to master was Curves for me. That is one powerful tool. You can also really mess up your image very badly with it as well. If you do just press the Alt key and the Cancel button turns into a Reset button while that key is down.

Did you pick up Real World Photoshop CS and Real World RAW? Those books are probably more important than more software at this point. Not cheap but real bombshells of info.

Isn't this fun?

Old 01-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Hall of Famer

I have 6 CS books so far, but not Real World Photoshop CS as of yet. I'll get that, plus Real World RAW. I've been messing with curves for a couple of weeks, based on some tutorials that come with a new PS CS package. I even have PS CS for dummies, and it touches on curves pretty good. Anyway, I have a lot to start learning: levels, curves, shadows, sharpening, histograms, just to name a few. I will say this however, my photos have never looked as good as the test photos I just processed in ACR this evening. I'm really impressed with what I can do with what I have. I'll never set the world on fire with any of my work, but I'm having a good time, and doing things that I'm pleased with. Now, to start working on the details, and the fine points. You're absolutely correct, some of the books availiable are more important than any software right now.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhrocker
You're absolutely correct, some of the books availiable are more important than any software right now.
Ain't this the truth. The tools are there in the software, seems like a gazillion differnet things to do in PS, but knowing what they do and how to use them only comes from hard reading in books, or searching online tutuorials, as the helpe files generaly are prettyweak, written with an expectation that you've been using PS since Bill Gates was in diapers.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Hall of Famer

I have a related question to all of this (I didn't want to start a new thread). Just what am I supposed to be seeing when I look at that initial RAW image in ACR? My f828 takes two shots, one jpeg, and one RAW, when in the RAW mode (this is set in the camera, I have no option here, however I rather like it). Anyway, when I first view the RAW image, it really doesn't look all that terribly bad. I had envisioned a image that was like the reverse of a color print, where nothing looked like the real thing. Is my camera or program adding detail to my RAW image, before I see it? Of course there's still a ton of adjusting to do, to make the RAW picture look right, but I am surprised at the appearence of a RAW picture.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-23-2005, 02:17 PM

Unless I'm mistaken the image you first see in ACR is the "as shot" image. In other words it's the raw image data with the in-camera exposure, white balance and other settings applied. The beauty of course is those settings are not applied in such a way as to constitute and image degrading 'edit' or permanant change in which data is permanently altered or lost forever. You can ask ACR to display the image "as shot" or custom or daylight, tungsten etc. You can even save your settings for the first image in a group and apply those settings automatically to the rest in the bunch to save time etc. Pretty cool stuff!
Old 01-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Ok, thanks Buddy. I had invisioned a blob of gellatinous pixels splattered all over the screen, that wouldn't make any sense until I started with the program. Yes, it is more of a "as shot" image, but for some reason, it's a different looking than the jpeg image that accompanies it (the jpeg seems to be better before I start applying changes to the RAW image, but drops to second place quickly).

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 02-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Steel Addict

The New ACR 2.4 version is now out here (no longer beta); http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

Now that's the PC/Windows version. They also have the Mac version

Old 02-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Hall of Famer

Glen, since I just downloaded and installed the Beta a couple of weeks ago, do I need to completely remove it, before installing this update?

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 02-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Steel Addict

Yes Robert, just drag it out of that folder its in (I just deleted it) and drag the new one right back in. It's looking good here.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Ok Glen, will do. What will I notice in particular with the new download, that is different from the Beta?

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 02-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Steel Addict

They just have the code dialed in more. It is most likely hottest for the latest cameras that have recently come out but you never know about the general tweeks they have done. I'm not positive yet but there seems to be less noise in the dark areas. I'm still playing with it.

Tags
knife