MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 06-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Living Legend

Question Cloth Sheaths?

Hi guys,

Just scratching out a design for a dagger for my wife to go with her renaissance gowns. I was gifted with a match set of shaped ivory scales and an idea came with it for a dagger.

One, does anyone have a good reference for worn daggers among women from Elizabeth?s court? My wife area of study doesn't include much in weaponry.

Two, my wife mention the few pictures she remembers of eating knives of the era (the only ones she remembers being carried by women), the sheaths were made of cloth and embroidered. Anyone, again, have any references that I might look this up in, she can't remember where or when she saw these sheaths.

Thanks for your time,
Jim

Old 06-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Jim-
I would suggest looking at as many Holbein prints as possible and see if you can find an image.
To make one I'd go with a vegtan liner and then make an embroidered cover from canvas. Thin leather such as buckskin can also be embroidered on. If you need help in working up a pattern email me and I 'll see what I can help with. Should be fairly simple as long as you know someone who embroiders! Not one of my skills.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Living Legend

Chuck,

Thanks for the response. I asked my wife who he was and she explained it to me (using small words for the clueless, me). I'll go through her books and see if I can find some of the paintings. I also looked up his name on Amazon and found several books on his word. I'll go check up the libraries for these.

As for embroidery, my wife and I do cross-stitch and hardanger, and I do blackwork. I don't know if hardanger was period but a burgundy leather sheath with a black or cream-colored hardanger covering would look stunning.

Here's a link on the history and an example:

http://www.caron-net.com/apr99files/apr99fea.html

I'm not great on hardanger and only descent on blackwork but it's fun.

Thanks again,
Jim

Tags
knives