MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 03-23-2003, 02:24 AM

Midevil workshop

Hello all,

The time has finally arrived and I am starting to buy and make everything for my workshop!

I am quite excited as I am getting my tools and everything but I have a few questions to ask about the tools. I have looked accouple of days now on the internet and couldn't find too many site that helped. I want to know what a midevil blacksmith mainly an armourer and bladesmith would have in their shops. I know all the basics hammers, anvils, tongs, grind wheels, and that stuff. But what type of cutters would they have? Did they have some kind of drill or what I thought they would have is punchs. Any and all advise will be a great help to me I am hoping to start forging by summer break.

On a second note (I probly should do this on a different thred) I am going to be making my own charcoal. I have two books that tell me how but if anyone has some hints that would be great too. Or even better if anyone uses it how well does it work?

Old 03-23-2003, 11:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Welcome, Hacksaw!

You should find a copy of "The Armourer and His Craft," as well as "De Re Metallica," if you'd like to see good examples of Medieval shops.

A good online source for info is http://www.arador.com

Good luck!

PS

The ceramicists in my life would like me to point out that the old blacksmiths' addage concerning the elements neglects the efforts of their craft...

jloose.com

Old 03-24-2003, 03:25 AM

Thanks for the responses are those books easy to come by?

Also do those books say what was in the shops because I do have a list of things that are availble today and what is used by todays blacksmith.

Yea it is fair enough to say that the elements saying is not completely true espicaly sence most use oil now instead of water, elctrisity for some in stead of fire. But in ceramics you don't need wind as much you could just let if harned in almost any heat sorce. But in both it all comes down to two things. One material. Two I like the saying it goes well with blacksmithing for some reason.

Thanks dude
Jason

Old 03-24-2003, 11:14 AM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
Jason,

Here are some links to suppliers of armorers tools.

Kingslayer/Ironmonger Armorers

Old World Anvils

I've used both these sources myself. These are good people to work with.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!

Tags
forge, forging