MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 02-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
found this on tribal smiths

http://www.brad.ac.uk/acad/archsci/d...amrg/steel.htm
Old 02-05-2003, 02:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Thanks, HDN...

I saw this article earlier when researching the net and forgot to bookmark it, so I appreciate it.

The article ties into something that I've thought for a long time... that we consistently underestimate Ancient technology. It's hard to look at something like the Ardagh Chalice or the Sutton Hoo find and think that these guys were shooting in the dark when it came to steel. I do think that secrecy took it's toll, though... some of these things were likely considered military secrets!

jloose.com

Old 02-05-2003, 04:57 PM
Skilled

Jonathan, I have to agree. Take the whole making steel in Ceylon thing we were talking about earlier it was thought not possible in those days to accomplish that kind of quality steel. What about the iceman find, it was assumed that there was no bronze work in those days and then they go and find the iceman was running around with a bronze (or was it copper) axe.

I don't know about the military secret part, but I can see a smith keeping his steel or wootz or damascus making ability a secret after all it gave him an edge (pun intended) against the competeing smiths.

I also think that a lot of this stuff was so common place that everyone assumed that everyone reading the instructions would get it. After all the ancient peoples where not generally writing for us 21st century types so a lot of the basic's (the assumed stuff) is never reported or otherwise recorded.

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~

Tags
blade