MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:56 AM
Guru

Yeh from what I know those "pivot screws" are used on a folder as a pivot (hence the name) yeh you could use them as screw to hold scales to a tang but its going to take some fidleing to get the length right where there are other screws that are really ment to put scales on a tang that would be much much easier to use and you will still be able to remove the scales later some have been listed above like the JP bolts...you may have luck using those pivot screws but most likely it will give you more of a headache than they are worth when you can do the exact same thing much eaiser with other fasteners. I have been making knives for a couple years now never once have I used a pivot screw on anything but a folder. Because really ther is no reason to makes things harder than it needs to be, but yes it can be done
Old 02-21-2017, 08:44 AM

Thanks for all of the help. The new guy was looking for the wrong thing. One more dumb question What's a KITH?

Last edited by lppd4; 02-21-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Guru

Knife In The Hat, every one who wants to makes a knife according to the subject (this time it is a bird and trout knife) then everyone grades each others knives and then we all swap when its done
Old 02-21-2017, 04:39 PM

I like the mini-corbys in both sizes. Jantz sells them as well as the bit to properly counter-sink for each size. They just look like pins.

I never could get past that 'half-moon' of epoxy that is visible in the threads of the loveless bolts once you grind it flush.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 02-21-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:00 AM
Guru

Mr. Garrett try 1/8" loveless bolts if that's the proper name for such tiny little screws. Here are a couple of pictures of a 1/8" loveless screw.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139620...7671162338314/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139620...7671162338314/

People wonder why I like small pins and here are a couple of reasons. 1/8" loveless are perfect for small knives.

Tags
brass, cheap, chicago screw, common, craft, fastener, handle, help., hobby, kits, knife, knife making, knife scales, knife supplier, knives, loveless, making, ore, post, profile, scales, screw, steel, store, supplies