MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Hey Dodd,

You know I was just making up the "33," thing, right?

"42," is the answer to Life, The Unive.... oh, you get the joke.

jloose.com

Old 04-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Thanks for the links. Quite interesting.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Living Legend

Sorry Jol, that came off as me asking for you to design it. I wasn't, just complaining. I know for heart it's got to come from me. I've been going through some history books checking out the designs from diggings for inspiration. Luckily it appears in both the Greek & Celtic cultures to have a large volume of examples to draw from. I don't mind this taking a while as I want to make sure it's done right. The first one in on that shoulder wasn't done well as I just went to the first shop I could find, lesson learned.

As for the tattoo artist, he has no problems with other faiths; he's just not familiar with the symbology of them. If I can supply the drawing to at least get him in the right direction he can do it right. From what I have found out he's the best in the area.

Jim

Old 04-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Hall of Famer

I dont think Jol thought that. I think he meant you need to get the pic out of your minds eye and get what you need down on paper. The simplest of sketches can be used and tweaked back and forth between you and your artist to get something perfect for you. I have wondered about your screen name. Greek or Romanian? I felt compelled to make a sketch, but wonder now if it is what you had in mind.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Hey Drac, I didn't think you were asking.

It's just that in my experience, when you want something unique to our interests, you have to make it happen. It is, of course, helpful if someone is familiar with the symbolism on multiple levels... But we are small in number. We have to *be* that guy we're looking for.

jloose.com

Old 04-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Living Legend

Funny as it is my screen name is my nick name I've had for years. It has to do with my liking for dragons. Dracul means dragon in Romanian and eventually it got shortened to Drac. It also was a bit of a joke as my skin and eyes are extremely sensitive to sun light so I was pretty much a night owl. I also like my steaks so rare that a good vet should have them walking around with 5 minutes of work. My wife's family doesn't even remember my real name most of the time

I was mostly thinking along the Celtic/Picish line, with the swirls and curves rather than the triple leg style. Mostly because that one will be the easiest to embellish to fill over the original tattoo, a women's face with a rose in her hair. The tattoo artist had my arm in the wrong position when he did it and the face really distorts when my arm is in a natural position. My wife also thinks that this is my idea of the ideal women so she for many years was a bit resentful of it. She's gotten over it but covering it up will kill two birds with one stone.

Jim

Old 04-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Hall of Famer

I too avoid the sun. Not to hard around these parts. Got a pic of your tattoo that you need to cover? Cover-ups pose their own unique problems that need to be worked around. If a cover-up is needed it is best to do it once and do it right. Nothin' worse than doing a cover-up on a cover-up.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:07 PM

I was born in... of all places... New F-ing Mexico.

My folks jut retired there after years of less sunny climes.

I enjoy the sun in Vermont, but it's relatively infrequent.

Hence the joy of Her presence.

jloose.com

Old 04-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Living Legend

Born in Detroit. Only 100 days of sunlight a year and they are all in the winter. Also have very light colored eyes and the cataracts surgeries and secondary cataracts have increased the sensitivity. So where have the Fates put me, Texas. Strange though is I do tan unlike most other people how have problems with sunlight.

Hammerdown, I'll try and get a pic up to show it. The main problem I might encounter is that I reacted to the green ink and every so often the stem of the rose rises up. I was told this is a mild allergic reaction but since it only happens to the green I wasn't too worried. Hopefully this won't happen after the new tattoo is on.

Jim

Old 04-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Living Legend

By the way are Asterix & Obelix Swedish ?

Jim

Tags
knife