MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 01-20-2006, 03:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
I would like to have that Counterfiting book, I have heard of it before. I want Knifemakers of old San Francisco by Bernard Levine also. Did anyone see Mr. Levines comment on this knife being posted? Could be the reason a national holiday has not been suggested yet.
Levine Knife ID forum

I, like you Tony try to make knives that look aged from the start. Here is one I made awhile back that I got a compliment on that " It looks a hundred years old".

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 01-20-2006 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Steel Addict

Roc

I'll agree, from the photo it does look old. Without the neglect and abuse I have seen on some authentic ones.

That type of look is EXACTLY what I want to strive for. PLEASE post some more photos of this one. What is the alloy of the bolsters and pommel?

I think I will also get "Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery" book. Born 150 years to late so I'll just have to strive to make knives that have "that look".

It is totally amazing to find the wealth of information on this website that is so freely shared. I have seen so many Ideas and saved myself so many mistakes by following all the other members info. This Place INSPIRES me.

Thanks, Tony
Old 01-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Guru

Roc, I looked at the photo of your knife before I read your post and thought the same thing about its age. You did a fantastic job on that one. Do you still own it ? Thanks for sharing it with us.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 01-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Steel Addict

Talking about books for Blade research there is a sticky the top of the Historical Inspiration board titled "Book Shelf"

Several posters have listed desireable book titles and authors. I have a few of these and now have added more to my wish list.

Here is a link to a fairly expansive list of reference works found at Sword Forum International.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...threadid=18251

Tony

Last edited by Tony Graves; 01-20-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Thanks for the compliments and yes, I still have it. I forgot to bring it home from work two days in a row to take a fresh pic to post. Now that I have a good digital. I thought it would be a good practice model because of the patena. taking pics of shiny knives is an art unto its own. The pic above is a scan. I found all scannners are not alike after that one bit the dust. The wood is ebony, the bolster and butt is lead free plumbing solder. Some call it silver solder. 16 bucks a pound on the roll at any good hardware store. The center pin is photoshopped in....lol. I had an old book that said use babbit, never did come across any. Chuck burrows made a tutorial and posted a page from that book (clickhere) I had some practice by casting a bajillion sinkers (for fishing) and soldering two bajillion tattoo needles. That knife in the top of the page is a good one to practice casting with. It is a perfect little utility for the bench and for a leather working sewing kit, thread cutter, leather trimmer, hangnails...ect. And if you get a few bubbles or voids the first couple times,...hey, its a user.

While I have sat on my lazy laurels, it has been a real pleasure to watch people discover this place and progress into real knifemaking craftsmen. I use to have to resist the urge to just thank everyone every time I logged in here. I even tried to come up with some kind of tag line to try and express the emotional rush and feelings of gratitude I got each and every time, but words failed me. I still feel the same way, but it gives me a grin and total dejavous when a new member searches for those same words to express his thanks. There are no words I guess, but I know that feeling.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast

If you are interested in a display verson of the Searles and not a collector, the bottom knife is the Atlanta Cutlery version.

$69.95 as is. If you want it sharpened, they charge a little more.

Tags
blade, knife, knives, switchblade