MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 01:09 PM
Skilled

Thanks for looking at this thread guys, but let's try not to bring up names from other forums, as it will do nothing but foster I'll feelings. All was said 2 years ago that needed to be said, and I for one have let it all go.
I do agree though that this forum has become one of good research, and by highly respected collectors from other forums. It's great to see.
We get our feathers ruffled a bit from time to time, but work things out.
One of the strength of this forum, the owner and moderators allow for disagreement, and yes, cross words from time to time, but it gets sorted out and we move on with no banning. I really appreciate that.
Thanks, Sam
Old 07-23-2017, 05:45 PM
Skilled

Haters Gonna Hate.....

I don't bow down to anybody, anywhere. Never have, never will....That's my style.

I don't post knife pics for any type of praise or patting on the back. And especially not because I'm trying to hawk my wares. I post pics for historical reference or for viewers pleasure. I really do not care for anything made post 1990 to tell the truth.

I for one have my own Facebook page(s) solely for collector Randall's, and I am extremely cautious of who joins. I will NEVER allow members who have nothing to say, other than some pointed remark or snide comment on another person's post.

And if I have said it once, I've said it 1000 times....

I buy things I don't need,
With money I don't have,
To impress people I don't like.

TB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12079650_954057878000680_8974689766704578827_n.jpg (35.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:29 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
I'm with you Bill. If it was made after 12/25/89 I'm not interested.....unless it is Mod. 12 with a 14 grind.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
Howdy Folks,

I'm still alive and scratchin'. I'm honored to note that 2016 will mark the thirty-fifth year of my association with the Randall family. April 23, 2016 will mark the fifth anniversary of the untimely death of my friend Rhett Stidham. His passing also marked the beginning of the end for the forum that Rhett and I started as well as the demise of the Randall Knife Society. From 1989 until his passing, Rhett Stidham worked tirelessly to make the RKS the premier collector group for Randall Made Knives. There is not and likely will not be another organization like the RKS. I can say with complete conviction that Rhett would be deeply disappointed in what has become of his efforts.

Perhaps one day I'll publish the entire story of what transpired after April 2011 to leave us where we are today. Though I'm aware of what our forum has become, for now I take a great deal of pleasure in not dealing with the drama.

For those of us that have been banned (and I was the first), you should wear it as a badge of honor. Rhett would appreciate that. I will say that I find it comical that "the other forum" still carries the banner "A place where EVERYONE is welcome to join in on the discussion of knives and other sharp things". I would add "as long as you don't disagree with the dictator".

Yeah,...I'm another one wearing that badge of honor. :-) I wasted a lot of time and posted a LOT of threads over there. ...and like you I too found the irony in the BS title that "...EVERYONE was invited to join in..." ...blah blah blah,...as long as you conform and keep your mouth shut if you think their knives could be better!

Some of my threads were of modifying a few of my personal Randall knives to make them into better slicers for EDC and other uses,...and that was taken as sacrilege to the powers that be. Knives with thick blade stock might be "built like a tank" (sort of, but without a full tang on most even that is a stretch),...but then what tank do you find that makes a great slicer for common cutting tasks?

It's been a few years now ,...maybe more as when you are banned you can't even go in and VIEW threads,....a ridiculous stance there. One thread I remember was thinning the blade on my used Model 28 Woodsman Randall knife. Often carried into the woods, in my mind it would be a better tool for tasks often encountered there without the rather thick 3/16" blade stock getting in the way! This model has a mostly full tang (one of the few Randall knives that do), so I thinned mine down to about 1/8" for most of the length, leaving a little more thickness in the stamp area to maintain that. I also removed most of the choil to get more cutting edge length for use as a Bushcrafting and general cutting use.

Talk about getting reamed by the elitist snobs who store their Safe Queens instead of trying to regularly using them! When a $20 Mora Heavy Duty Companion can cut circles around a stock $425+ Randall,...you have to wonder! Geeze..... some of us don't need or want a crowbar in a knife,...but DO want an efficient cutting tool.

At age 61 now, I also don't have time to wait the 4-5 years (last I checked) for an order to get made and delivered. As I bought most of mine as used knives (and now mostly sold off), with a few new from dealers without the long wait. This wouldn't even be necessary if the re-seller's weren't sucking up all the future spots they can,.... limiting the supply and keeping the prices artificially higher than they would be otherwise. IF actual "user's" controlled the market demand, the cutting efficiency would more readily come to light, and Randall would make knives with cutting thickness blades rather than "crow bar thick" blades.

In my case,... ANY talk about a Randall Knife having some "design" traits not the best for the the supposed purpose suggested by the name, such as "Woodsman", is a BIG no-no! As I recall Chris Stanaback (a BIG Randall re-seller), and even Randall Shop Foreman Scott Maynard piled on.

Some comments on that tread regarding modifying my Model 28 Woodsman knife would have gotten most anyone else banned probably. But if you're part of the "collective" you're cut a LOT of slack on what you can say!

In lots of ways Randall's are a "trading" commodity, and a high percentage are "Safe Queens" never to see any actual use in the field. The marketing is geared in that direction, and of course regular sellers like Captain Chris want to protect THAT! The comments made to the original poster in this thread WAS insulting and personal,...and ANY "nobody" using the same words would likely be banned for saying it. But not Captain Chris,... simply remove the evidence, ban the innocent guy,.. and move on,...nothing to see here sort of thing. Geeze...

Were more Randall's actually used in the field,...you'd hear a lot more about their shortcomings when it comes to actually cutting. There's a reason WHY real food prep slicers, general "cutting" tools , and even woodcrafting / bushcrafting blades are made in 1/8" and UNDER thicknesses,...they simply work better for what a knife is meant to do,...CUT!

YMMV

Joe T

Last edited by joejeweler; 07-24-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:53 AM
Steel Addict

I don't recall Randall making a "woodcrafting" knife by design...and MY comments were that you took a brand new knife, (that you paid for, so you had every right), but you STILL screwed it up, voided the warranty, made a model 28 look like a model 10..(which is 1/8 stock), and generally turned a great looking knife into one ..IMO..ugly POS. ..but once again, you paid for it, so have at it, but don't ASK for opinions (which U did), and not expect to hear any dissenting views...
Old 07-24-2017, 12:48 PM

Scott, please leave confrontations and arguments that have occurred on other forums away from this one.

Your self-restraint will be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

David

Old 07-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Steel Addict

OMGoodness...I...did not bring this back up, so I..am sure you WILL extend this comment to joejeweler also...correct moose?...

I'm a little more than sick of MY posts and OPINIONS be subjected to scrutiny and others "like" mine not receiving the same treatment...if MY opinions and posts are not welcomed over here, then you had better go ahead and ban me from here, cause I WILL continue to defend myself if I am called out DIRECTLY, as in joe's statement...or at the least give the "rest of the story"...
Old 07-24-2017, 02:36 PM

Scott, unlike yourself, joejewller isn't permitted to defend himself on the forum in which you are still a member in good standing, so he is allowed to vent here (within reason).

And Scott, you're welcome to post here anytime, but please don't expect disruptive, negative and shirt disturbing comments to be ignored by a moderator, although they probably should be by everyone else.

Have a nice day!

David

Old 07-24-2017, 02:41 PM
Skilled

I try to live by the ideology that before having my thoughts becoming comments must meet 3 criteria,

1) Is it true?

2) Is it Kind?

3) Is it necessary?

If my thoughts DO NOT meet ALL THREE, then I don't have the right to say it.

Or at least:

Say What You Mean,
Mean What You Say,
But Don't Say It Mean.

This isn't a pissing contest.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty water View Post
I don't recall Randall making a "woodcrafting" knife by design...and MY comments were that you took a brand new knife, (that you paid for, so you had every right), but you STILL screwed it up, voided the warranty, made a model 28 look like a model 10..(which is 1/8 stock), and generally turned a great looking knife into one ..IMO..ugly POS. ..but once again, you paid for it, so have at it, but don't ASK for opinions (which U did), and not expect to hear any dissenting views...
Yeah Scott ,...typical insults from the Randall Shop Foreman, your parents must be proud,... geeze. And I don't recall ANY Randall that will actually CUT as well as a $20 Mora either,...EXCEPT maybe the Fisherman model 10's you mentioned. You can't fight knife geometry,..and THICK blades work against efficiency,..that's a no brainer. Warranty voided,... really,... you honestly give me no credit for realizing I KNEW that,..and it wasn't a concern?

By the way, anyone else notice what Scott places in the highest priority regarding the Randall "Woodsman" model 28? He states " ....and generally turned a great looking knife into one ..IMO..ugly POS". I'd have more respect for your opinion IF you placed cutting efficiency ahead of looks as a TOP Priority for a KNIFE! But Randall Knives (aka "crowbars") are made to open c rations and busting through doors maybe,...but buy a thinner blade from another maker putting actual CUTTING ahead of GD "LOOKS"! Geeze,... You CAN have BOTH, by the way!

Oh,...I find it interesting you never commented on the business model that I brought up,..which is to greatly limit the available supply by having all your dealers tie up as many spots as possible for many years in advance,... keeping prices high and the factory humming. Keeps the collector market happy, the dealers happy,....most everyone except the ones actually taking their knives out of their "Closet Queen" inventory and trying to go out and actually use what it was intended for,..CUT efficiently.

What seems especially egregious to me is for those "individuals" willing to place a $50 deposit on a knife, and have the patience to wait 4 or 5 years to reach your build spot,....you can't even get a blade stock thickness choice. Sad really, for THAT is a great customer to have! (yet gets NO consideration for that commitment and EXTRAORDINARY patience!)

IF you were really concerned about the actual CUSTOMER, you would allow them to choose blade thickness at the very least,...as an option for those wanting to get the most out of their knives. Frankly, Randall could care less. As I recall in another thread, I asked "over there" WHY you couldn't leave OFF a step in manufacturing such as Jimping,...and even charge the SAME price for the knife! You'd make more by saving man hours deleting this step,...didn't matter!

NOPE, NO can do, (sorry, can't site the thread here since I'm banned there)....with some BS explanation since it's obvious to me when I examine the factory Randall jimping it has always appeared to be hand cut in with a file.

Last edited by joejeweler; 07-24-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:00 PM

Hi Joe!

I'm hoping that you've finished venting. No good will come from further attacks on Scott, so please let this end here.

Thank you!

Do you collect Randalls? If so, please let us know which models you have and post a photo or two.

Cheers!

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 07-24-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:16 PM

Hi David,...yeah maybe,...I feel a little better at least :-) And thanks for your comments in post #38 above.

However, I think you'll notice I didn't actually "attack" Scott,...although I think it's quite obvious he did with me. Frankly, I've sold OFF most of my Randall's,...as I don't care to support the company as it's currently run. At age 61 now I doubt I'll ever see a change, which is OK by me because there are LOTS more knife makers around now than 20 years ago,..who will work with the customer and can deliver in a few months or so. They just work a different business model.... :-)

Oh,...photo's will have to wait,...as I have all my images on Photobucket, and I have NO intention of paying $39 a month, or $400 annually,...to have them available for 3rd party hosting! This is going to be their downfall eventually,....

Joe T

Last edited by joejeweler; 07-24-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Skilled

Look, the mechanics of knife design and making is a subject for interesting debate, and on this site are some chat boards that address those issues. RE: RMK business model... supply and demand rules ... if there were no market, whoever is soaking up all the shop made knives will eventually go bust. Cartels usually work by limiting supply from the source, but that hasn't caused a diminution of activity so far as I know. But I really don't care that much because the RMKs I'm mostly interested in were made almost 50 years ago or earlier, and there aren't any more of them being made.

The underlying issue seems to be being banned "over there" for whatever arbitrary reasons. Well, we have this board. And best, the core people here are interested in vintage knives. mostly. I would say there are ten times as many vintage lines here as over there.

If people want to play games like "build," or show and tell, fine, and good for them. I'm very happy on this board, don't want to go back over there, and if the people who read my posts are only vintage collectors, that is fine too. I say let the issue go. What is to be gained? What answer can please? I say ... let it go...

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-24-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Steel Addict

Way to go moose, you as a moderator allowed Joe to rant and rave on a 80 year old great, history laden American company who have always offered a great knife at a fair price, when u could have prevented this type of escalation...I will not pursue/defend this any further, or bring this argument back up on this site, I've made my point and I believe the historical threads on KNF are above and beyond awesome knowledge to ingest...

And if anyone would like the link to the original thread, I would be happy to send it to you and let your judge for yourselves who was the agitator and baitor of the original argument. Just send me an email addy...

But thanks for the comments on post #41 above moose...better late than never...

Last edited by dirty water; 07-24-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samg View Post
So much for freedom of speech.
I was just banned on the knifetalkforum the Randall Made knives forum for defending myself when Chris Stanaback went after me for a "percieved" insult.
They went so far as cleaning up the dialog that led to the ban, so don't bother looking for it, it is gone.
There are many here that are members of the other forum, so just as a warning, don't stand up for yourself, or defend your position, or you will be dumped too, as many before have been.
I have many friends on the other forum that know me and my character, and I wanted to let you guys know.
Too bad not much is going on here. The site that Rhett started was a wonderful place for information with some very knowledgable people. Unfortunately, it has become a closed community that, if you have a differing opinion, you are marginalized.

Rhett would not be happy.

Thanks for letting me speak my piece, as it were.

Regards, Sam
Scott, as has been shown in the past and even with the original post to this tread (shown above),...the powers that be there DO have a history of making changes to put yourselves in a better light while personally attacking and insulting the other side.

Frankly, I wouldn't trust you in ANY way to being fair minded with anything, let alone an email document. This is not an attack, either,...just an observation in the original thread here that it still goes on "over there".

Last edited by joejeweler; 07-24-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
back, bee, blade, book, cleaning, diamond, easy, first time, hand, home, knife, knives, made, make, post, problem, project, randall, rare, rolling, sheath, sheaths, shop, show, sog