MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 09-06-2002, 10:54 PM

Thanking Ron Nott and !Mammoth Tusk...

I had another great day with Ron Nott today. He's teaching me how to hollow grind and I'm starting to get the hang of it. (In exchange, I helped him figure out how to post his photos...you guys can all thank me later as he's got a lot of awesome photos of his work that he'll be posting over the coming weeks )

Thanks again Ron!

On the way home from Ron's place in PA to my home in Baltimore, MD, I stopped off at a shopping center near Ron's for a cup of coffee.
While bumming around the mall, I stumbled upon a small store that specializes in fossilized and prehistoric stuff...mostly lots of rocks and petrified whatever, plus imported wood carved goodies from Africa, etc.

On one side of the store, there was a glass case with lots of prehistoric bones and the like...including a shelf full of Mammoth Tusk!!! Gorgeous stuff, most pieces were about 3" x 6" -8", close to being flat, and colors that you might expect from the prettiest of Mammoth scales...tan, black, rust, grey, blues...they had it all!! Easily large enough to cut down to one or two sets of scales per piece...at an average of $13-15 per piece

Of course, I couldn't believe my dumb luck and bought several pieces. Does anyone know if I need to be comcerned or treat these in any way before I start cutting to size. They came with a "glaze" that looks like shellac...the girl said they come that way to prevent dust.

Over near the register, they had just gotten in a dozen or so sets of 10" wood bowls and matching "pestles" that I assume natives use for grinding small amounts of grain. They were all made from "Palm" wood...the grains were all absolutely beautiful...sort of a crossbetween zebra wood and lace wood, with almost miniature-like burls! I bought a set. Both pieces can easily be cut down to make quite a few sets of scales...again they were priced at $12 bucks per set!

Quite a great haul following another great day at Ron Nott's place...whew!

Thanks again Ron!

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 09-06-2002 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:59 AM

Hey, Dennis

You have my phone number. . . . . . you're supposed to call when this type of emergency comes up.

If you happen back by this place before the Folder In, you are under strict orders to call!

Bob Sigmon
Old 09-07-2002, 01:34 PM

Great deals!

You have enough raw stock to outfit about fifty knives.... Jeez, I bought a piece of Dymondwood for the nearly the price of mammoth ivory!!

On the precautionary side, I don't know of the stabilizing needs of those bone-type materials. Ask someone who knows.

I'm off to a knifemaker apprenticeship course myself Sunday 6/8. I'll fill you in.... Good on ya' Ron, for being so helpful!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 09-07-2002, 01:39 PM
Steel Addict

Palmwood is a classic knife handle wood. They're regularly offered on eBay.

JD

Old 09-07-2002, 07:54 PM
Living Legend

hi dennis i am glad you enjoyed your day at my shop.. i do hope i was able to teach you some thing about grinding .. now i am looking forward to seeing your work . what is the name of that store and what plasa is it in i want to get some ivory at those prices .. and when you and bob are at the fold in and have time bring bob up to my shop you wil be only 20 mi away ron p. nott

Old 09-07-2002, 08:26 PM

Ron-
It's a small place in the Camp Hill Mall called "Treasures of the Earth". Go through the Barnes and Noble Bookstore and turn left inside the mall. It's quite the little treasure trove...you'll get a kick out of it. They've got all kinds of interesting stone, and inexpensive, prehistoric bone...a lot of 10,000yr old ancient bison?!..check it out.

I already made the suggestion to Bob about stopping by since we'll be so close. In any case, I'll see you soon.

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

Tags
knife, knives