MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 PM

knife repair/modification??

Hi,

New here, as I am looking for someone here in Texas that does knife repair/modification, polishing. This may not be the correct place to ask this question, but maybe I can get some direction here.

Thanks

Redraider
Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps if you give a few details about what you're trying to fix up, we could find you some help.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:01 PM

Hi again,

Sorry it took me so long to get back. I have an old (probably) inexpensive Bowie knife that was my grandfather's. During it's time in a leather scabbard, one side of the blade and the thick edge got stained, pitted(slightly), rusted(?), and I might like to get that polished up. Also, the guard is thin and kinda cheezy so I would like to see about getting a heavy brass replacement installed. The back end of the knife has a slotted, inset nut that looks like it should un-screw and have everything come apart. For someone that knows what they are doing this should be a simple job. A good sharpening wouldn't hurt things either. The handle is a large hunk of antler, with some tapered spacers at each end, four before the guard, and four under the butt piece.

Maybe this will help.

I live in Graham, Texas near Possum Kingdom Lake

Thanks

Redraider
Old 06-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraider View Post
The back end of the knife has a slotted, inset nut that looks like it should un-screw and have everything come apart.
Even though the nut is threaded onto a tang going through the handle, that handle has probably been glued on before the nut was attached. Probably just won't come apart by removing the nut. Best to have a pro look at it first before trying that. I'm sure a Texas maker willing to look at your knife will answer back in due time from your area. Sometimes it takes a few days.

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 01-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Registered

knife redo

If you would post some pictures with a description of what you want done it would help us understand what you're trying to accomplish
Old 01-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Skilled

Just from the discription it sounds like one of those Solgein Germany knives. Should be easy enough for even a novice. Before I ever got into knifemaking I replaced the handle on mine. Really isn't worth too much trouble. They were decent knives though.

Tags
antler, back, bee, blade, bowie, brass, easy, edge, germany, guard, handle, help., knife, knifemaking, knives, leather, post, repair, sharpening, simple, spacers, tang