MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 10-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Steel Addict

Stag Shortage or "Horn Jive"?

Last month I recieved a Christmas 2006 Catalog from Russell's For Men, which is a from A. G. Russell, a Randall Authorized Dealer. In the Catalog they feature the Model #25-5" Trapper that they have available. (standard model with a TS Blade & Brass Furniture for $675.00). In the write up of the knife, they state: "We currently have less than 20 knives in Stock, and they expect another 20 more in late October and another 20 in late November."
This is where it gets interesting, where they state: "We were recently notified by Randall Knives that they are running very low on India Stag and are therefore sverely limiting the number of knives we can purchase each month with Stag handles. We will continue to order as many with Stag as we can, but if you do not get one of those on our shelves, or already scheduled the wait will likely be six months or more".
Has anybody else heard anything about a "Stag Shortage" or is this just some "Horn Jive"?

Old 10-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast

India placed an embargo on stag way back in 1998. There is nothing that I know of that indicates the embargo will be lifted. Apparently it was put into place to protect the species. I have heard of game farms selling stag horn and that seems to be to only source. Prior to the enforcement of the embargo there was a lot of hoarding and after 8 years that supply is likey gone.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Steel Addict

Mike here is the answer DW Gave

YES!!!

Moosehead,

All is well at RMK, because of GTR's strong business ties, we were able to "almost handpick" the stag to be purchased. Gary really laid down the law as to what sizes we would even accept. However, the ban definitely has not been "lifted" and we're right back where we started as far as unable to attain anymore! Price was more than 6 times what we paid back before the ban. You should have already noticed the better looking stag, just take a look at Rick Bowles latest skinners over at Rhett's forums! By the way a big Thank You to Rhett for helping secure a connection to obtain some of our shipments. Hope this pleases ya'll as much as it does RMK!!

------------DW------------

Old 10-29-2006, 05:54 PM

Hi all you stag lovers out there!

Mike, thanks for reviving our antler angst.

Here's the link to the thread DUH120 is referring to:

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=31785

Since a year has now passed since this was posted, I'm wondering if the supply of Sambar stag is indeed beginning to run out.

Now that the so-called "World" series of the game that has guys running around some bags filled with sand is finally over, perhaps DW will be able to fill us in and the current state of stag supply.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 10-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Steel Addict

Dick & Moose,
I was familiar with that older Posting & the fact that the Shop had secured some Stag a while ago (a year). It was this quote in Russell's catalog that got me wonderring if we had a "another new shortage" or if this was somehow related to the "5 Option Limit" & Russell used that for their "Stag Shortage". Perhaps the Capt. will resurface this week to "Chime In".

Old 11-20-2006, 06:42 PM

Question Are you horny?

This question seems to have been missed, so I've brought it back.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Tags
blade, knife, knives