MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-20-2001, 05:53 PM
calvin

Polishing

Some of my knives look cloudy after I finish buffing them. I finish up using jewelers rouge. Am I doing something wrong? What makes the finish look cloudy? Thanks
Old 08-20-2001, 08:23 PM
george tichbourne

Red jewler's rouge is designed for non ferrous metals and will not work well on steel. There are special compounds formulated for every type of metal and application. For stainless or carbon steel try a green stainless steel cut and colour compound followed by a white chrome buffing compound for maximum brightness.

Allowing the metal to get warm during the final buffing generally yields a better finish.
Old 08-21-2001, 02:22 AM
calvin

polishing

Thanks George
I will try that. I did not know it made a difference. I will try the green and white.
Old 11-25-2001, 06:58 AM
PaulD

Polishing

Check out this site for info and supplies. They also replied to a question on polishing the cultured marble scales on my first attempt to assemble a knife.
www.caswellplating.com/
good luck.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:21 AM
Geno

The different colors of compound are like the different grits of sand paper. Start with the rough grit, and get smaller and smaller, until it is polished.
I don't often buff stuff, but if I remember right, it is black, green, and white to finish.
I stoped ordering the green.When I buff it is now black, then white and it's done. It is best if you hand sand to 600 grit before buffing.
Old 12-01-2001, 07:53 AM
ATFAB

OK, I signed up after looking around here two Saturdays in a row.

I posted above as "PaulD" last week. The link was one I found surfing one day. They have all kinds of plating, etching and polishing equipment for sale. Also have a buffing/polishing tutorial you can download (very helpful for beginners). Prices for polishing buffs/rouge look good also.

Got to logoff before the wife gets upset, will post on "the make-do" equipment and techniques I used on my first and current projects soon.

Great boards with lots of good advice.
Thanks
Old 12-01-2001, 08:04 AM
Bob Warner

ATFAB,

Welcome to the forums. Don't get the wife upset, that really inhibits the quality of everything you do.

Good to have you here,

Tags
knife, knives