MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2018, 01:52 PM
Skilled

Rust under those vintage Micarta scales?

I recently purchased a vintage Brown Micarta Astro, and the first thing that I did was carefully take the Micarta scales off to check the condition of the tang.
**Take care to use the correct size screwdriver, so as not to strip the slot in the bolt.**

As I observed when taking the scales off another brown Micarta astro, there was rust. The red type that will eat away at metal if left unchecked.
So I pulled the scales off this one too, and there was rust. Natural for any kind of carbon steel.
The rust was on the Micarta when I separated them too.

Rust on the micarta

I picked up some 1000 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper made for steel and carefully removed the red rust till all that was left was the black.

**Another method suggested in a post below...
For future reference use Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust Remover and you will get the rust off even down in the pit holes where the sandpaper doesn't reach. Most sporting goods stores should have it. Be careful when you apply it as it will turn the edges grey as it is caustic and etches into the metal, but it gets rid of 100% of the rust. I use a Q-tip to apply it near edges if I don't want to have to rebuff them.**

Red rust removed.

When sanding was complete, I used some light oil to coat the steel.

** It has been noted to take care using oil or any penetrating oils, as they may stain the Micarta.***

I also used the sandpaper to remove the rust from the Micarta scales.

Cleaned and ready to reassemble

I put the sandpaper down on a hard surface, then put scales flat on sandpaper. I feel it best to do it this way. If you hold in hand and sand freehand, take care not to allow sandpaper to go off edge of scales and sand finish off edge of scales.

Reassemble, and good to go for a few more years.
When removing the bolts, make it a point to keep the nut oriented to the same bolt for reassembly. Also note each scale and reassemble on same side of tang it was removed from.

I haven't had any problem removing bolts. You shouldn't have to apply much torque to remove, just make sure to use a correct sized screwdriver so you don't strip the slot.
After removing the scales on the first Astro knife that I owned and found significant rust, it has been my habit since.
Perhaps someone else who has done this has some tips?

Regards, Sam

Last edited by samg; 03-02-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Tags
apply, bee, blade, brass, carbon, coat, edge, finish, first knife, flat, hand, knife, made, make, metal, micarta, problem, randall, sanding, scales, steel, surface, tang, tips, vintage