MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-05-2002, 10:29 PM
William

ATS-34 thickness prior to heat treat?

I just ground out a small Loveless style bird and trout out of 1/8" ATS-34. This pattern is a very light duty desighn with a 3.5" blade.

I'm not real fond of hollow grinds, but since I just got a Coote with an 8" wheel and a hollow grind goes well with this desighn I thought I'd give it a try. Well the grind came out nearly perfect, just one problem. The tip, also the thinist part of the blade, is only about .015 thick. I normaly leave carbon steel a lot thicker and a flat or convex grind on stainless I take to about .012 but the metal above the edge thickens up.

Should I send this off for heat treat or scap it and grind anougther with a thicker edge? The point is .015" for about 3/8" then starts getting thicker.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:34 AM
Don Cowles

It will only cost you a few bucks to have it heat treated, and you might wind up with a "surgical precision" point. Trouble with thin edges is that they sometimes get a bit wavy during heat treat, but you won't know unless you try.

Some of my very best knives have come about as the result of 'mistakes' that I have corrected.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:06 AM
Raymond Richard

William,
Wayne Goddard suggest on thin ats blades just to profile them and then grind after the ht since the ats will handle heat much better than carbon steels. I've done this myself with good results....Ray
Old 06-06-2002, 07:48 PM
William

Thanks, I'll probly send to heat treat and if if waves any just shorten the blade a little, much as I hate to do that.

Tags
blade, knife, knives