MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Skilled

DIY Heat treat oven

Guys,
I've been looking for a used HT oven for about 6 month now. No luck so far.
I am ready to spend about $500. In last 6 month only one small oven came up on Craigslist and got sold quickly before I got a chance to buy it.

I want oven with an electronic controller so I can do stainless too.
Is there any plans available for such thing? I've seen a couple of DIY ovens that I can build myself but they are not very specific about electronic part. Is there any controller/termocouple/coil sets that are plug-and-play? I have no knowledge of electronics and installation must be straight forward.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex

Last edited by alexkuzn; 11-06-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Living Legend

I was down at a local ceramics supply store and they had a real nice one for $900. It was all digital and it looked like it could hold a 13" blade. I have priced digital controls for a pyrometer and they are all around $300-350. If you went to a ceramics store they could fix you up with the refractory brick/tile and nichrome wire for the heat elements. For $500 I would bet that you could build one, they would probably even have a how to book there.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Skilled

Give Tim Zowada a call. He sells them and has the best price around.

http://www.tzknives.com/kf135.html
Old 11-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Steel Addict

There is a good tutorial for building an oven here. http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=24327

Old 11-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Skilled

I'm building an oven using Andy's tutorial (see oljoe's post above with link). I just bought a controller, relay, and thermocouple as a package off of ebay. I can't comment too much since it hasn't been delivered yet. They regularly sell the package as a buy-it-now auction for $77 currently. Ebay search for "Kiln controller" or item # 7560450101 to see an example. Seller is "drills12".

It sounds like what you're asking for. It won't do multi-stage cycles by it's self, but it does digitally hold a specific temp, and does high enough temps for all the stainless steels.

The item description is:
New, with extra alarm output, in sealed box. Size of face 72x72mm (cutouts 68x68mm). Red LEDs 4 digits display. Type "K". 120V or 240V units to chose from. Thermocuple is 1200C (2400F approx.)degrees, in ceramic shield. Length is 10", but could be shorten to suit. 7 feet stainless mesh type "K" cable for thermocouple included. Red stripe wire connect to plus and blue to minus to TC marked terminals. ETC has screw terminals on back easy to understand as there are the pictures. Requests for help welcome. Relay - contactor supplied with this kit is UL and CSA aproved, 40A, double contacts. Also could be with 120V or 240V coil. Specify 120V or 240V kit you need after you buy!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Skilled

Guys,
what kind of treatment needs multi-stage cycles? Another words - what kind of HT is covered by control with no multi-stage cycles and what kind of HT is not?

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited by alexkuzn; 11-09-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkuzn
Guys,
what kind of treatment needs multi-stage cycles?

Thanks,
Alex
Just as an example, CPM calls for "preheating" S30V to 1600F BEFORE taking it to 1900-2000F and soaking for 30 minutes. Some ovens can be programmed to do that all for you automatically and then BEEP at you when it's time to quench. That's what I meant by multi-stage.

With the controller I mentioned above you have to manually manipulate the temperature setting and time for each stage.

-Ben

Tags
blade, knife