MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:29 AM
Master

First sale!

Finished up my first sale, a custom hunter for a friend of a friend. He specified the shape of the point and the length of the blade, he left the rest up to me. What do you guys think? Be brutally honest, he doesn't read knife boards so he won't see any unflattering comments about it and I'm tough, I can take it.

Blade material: O1
Handle material: Oiled Bacote, Red Oak spacer, Koval mosaic pins
Sheath material: Red oak, Leather, Wire nail pins
OAL: 6 3/4"
Blade length (from the choil) 2 1/2"
The pics are kinds big, sorry.

If I was ever to get into this full time, I think I'd need to outsource my sheaths. I was going great with a full head of steam making the knife, but when I got to the sheath all my motivation left. Actually I don't mind the wood part so much, it's just the leatherwork that I don't feel confident in.

Old 08-20-2005, 06:39 AM

I, for one think it's tough! Well done! Good for you for not being a blue-butt-runner! I dig the blade shape. And the handle looks comfortable to use. I think I know I like blades when I look at one and think that I'd like to make one just like it. Well, I just copied the pic to my desktop for later reference, and will keep it there with your permission.
How was forging that steel? Any pointers on treating it?

That's one that I would show off if I were you. You've just earned a "Mr" in front of you kof-n-mn-kee.

Brock

Old 08-20-2005, 08:21 AM
Master

Thanks for the kind comments, I'm flattered you'd want to actually save the pic and make one similer. Permission granted!

O1 isn't bad under the hammer at all, slightly stiff compared to say 10xx steels, but not bad at all compared to some mystery steels I've hammered before. O1 is pretty easy to get a decient HT on, standard tool steel HT if you're doing it caveman style. Just make sure you don't hammer it too cold, it'll crack when some other steels just start getting hard to move. Also it'll air harden in thin sections so if you normalize before doing stock removal temper it too just to be safe, I snapped the tang off attempt #1 because I didn't notice it air hardened (I think I'll make it into a folder one of these days).

p.s. I'll probably feel stupid once I hear the answer, but what's a "blue-butt-runner"?

Old 08-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Guru

Not bad Andrew, very interesting design. Just because your not confident in your leatherworking skills is not a reason to give up on it. It is just another skill to learn.I felt the same way when I started making knives and now I probably do more leatherwork for other makers than I do knives for myself.That being said there are a bunch of quality sheathmakers here on the forums that can do them for you.I just like the sole authorship part of it. Keep up the good work. Dave
Old 08-20-2005, 09:59 AM
Master

Thanks. Good point about the leatherwork, I'm sure once I feel more confident with it I won't mind doing it as much, there's just so much to learn about sooo many skills it gets a little overwealming sometimes trying to learn them all equally.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:30 PM

Mr. Coffin-Munkey

These names are fun....
Nah, I don't 'spect anyone would know this one but I use it quite a bit; here's how it came about. A close friend of mine and I were waxing on and on one day and came upon the subject that we often talk about and support each other in and that is freedom of thought. He was sharing that his grandmother belonged to a organization (not church) that had a "grip" on her and in his excitement, off the cuff and without thinking declared that "if these people told her to paint her butt blue and run across the yard, she would do it!"
Well the quote stuck and is still used years later in our regular speech. A blue butt runner is one who does not think for themselves, or one who relys on the standards of others when rating himself, or one who follows the norm, the Joneses; a poseur in a bad "slave" way. These are characteristics that the members of this forum do NOT frequently have judging from the fact that they are making their own knives!???! "
WHAT? ARE YOU CRAZY?? You can't make anything better than my Daddies B**K Knife or my Granpas O*d T*m*r! Give it up boy! It can't be done! Just go buy a Ger*er like mine and you'll be happy!"
See what I mean? So kudos to all of you reading this. Your butt probably ain't blue and you're most likely walking. Stay off those company sites for ideas and think freely. I think my name shall be NT Spit'n-Ape Snyder...

Enjoy!

my how high this box of soap is...

Brock

p.s. there are pictures of NT spit'n squid Goo on a dart board and in the post office at the forementioned organization of certain Smurf color.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Skilled

Looks great! The shape reminds me of the old cotton sampler blades that very few folks make any more.

Old 08-21-2005, 12:09 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Andrew
Very nice looking blade. Looks to be a very copmfortable handle shape.
If I had any advice, and this is just my personal taste. I would have the pins at the but a little closer to the center, so that they were not part of the radius. But again, this is a personal thing. I really like the sheath. Dont see much where leather and wood are combined.

Keep them coming, and congradulations on your sale!!

God Bless
Mike

Old 08-21-2005, 12:46 AM

What I love most about this site is how many ideas I get from it.

The sheath you created with no motivation has inspired me to try something new in my own sheath designs (which are not my strong suit).

The knife it self is cool as hell! Remember, in the world of knifemaking, where ther is so much to look at, anything different... is good!

I'm curious why he specified that particular shape and size blade. What is the intended use?

Andy

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 08-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Master

I think its a great looking knife and sheath...always refreshing to se something different.

Is the back of the sheath wood or leather?..and how does the leather join the wood?...I am curious.

I agree with Diamond G about the pins....maybe the back ones could have been a bit closer together and not included in the radius..but again, thats just my opinion.....

I am sure your customer will be over the moon with it.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Wow, everyone is up and posting early this Sunday morning.

Nice Andy. Love the hybrid sheath.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 08-22-2005 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Guru

Nice job Andrew. Is the notch designed to open cans, or for decoration? Either way, I like it.

KempKnives.com
Old 08-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Master

Wow, alot of replies overnight, thanks for all the good comments.
Brock: I call the "blue butt" people "sheeple" and I agree, there's way too many of them but not many at all who make knives.
Mike and Coutel: You're not the first person to say that about the pins, for looks I think you're right though I'd have to change how my handles are, here's a pic of a knife with a similer tang and a piece of paper showing the handle (actually this knife was attempt 2 at the skinner but I wasn't happy with it so I ground it into a whittling knife), also a pic of the back of the sheath, the leather is basically held on like a handle scale, pins and glue. Though the little tabs of leather on the "ears" are just glued.

Andy: I'm curious what new thing you've decided to try from looking at mine. They want it as a skinning knife, the point matches the point of his favorite skinner, the length is so it's street legal to carry around.
Lawrence: It's just intended as a regular sharpening aid choil, but I like the looks of making them oversized and funky, similer to a spanish notch.

edited for smaller pics.

Last edited by AwP; 08-21-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Steel Addict

Talking

I like it! It looks extreemly functional, especially as a skinning knife. The only thing I might do different would be to make the handle and sheath from the same wood. remember: hit it while it's HOT Jim
Old 09-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Guru

Thumbs up

Very nice! I like the unique blade shape a lot! I think that is my favorite part of this one! Great Job and congrats on the sale. Feels good doesn't it

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives