MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 11-18-2003, 12:10 PM
Living Legend

Question about memory

I have a computer that has 64 meg of ram and is expandable to 384. I look into the computer and see two printed boards that according to the computer paperwork is the memory locations. I am assuming that each of these boards is 32 meg of ram.

I want to upgrade this ram to something higher in an attempt to speed the computer up a little bit.

Can someone tell me how to know what to buy?
Is it expensive?
Do I have to buy two of whatever I get (one for each slot) to keep both slots equal?

I am on a tight budget right now so I may not be able to buy much but I am sure any amount will improve things.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 11-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Skilled

Bob,
Hopefully you have a printed manual for your particular mother-board (or entire pc). The manual should tell you the details regarding the possible memory configurations. There are many different types of RAM, and you need to know which function properly in your pc. Some motherboards can take mis-matched chips, but others require matched sets.

Crucial generally has good prices on memory. They also can help you choose the right memory for your specific pc/motherboard.

http://www.crucial.com/

Hope that helps.

-Ben
Old 11-18-2003, 12:51 PM
Master

First thing you need to do Bob, is find out exactly what make, model & processor speed your PC is & armed with that info, any computer seller can tell you what you need & set you up with it (ideally you should take your PC in to have them fit it, for anti-static purposes) hope that helps

• Who's There?
  • Cowsgo
  • Cowsgo Who?
  • NO, Cows Go Moo!
Old 11-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Living Legend

Thanks guys.

Here is a link to the page that crucial selected for my computer.
Crucial

I did not know that it was that expensive.

According to them I have three slots and I looked at the paperwork and I guess I do.

According to the paperwork I can expand one slot at a time, so I can add a 128 into the one open slot and be good to go.

I was hoping to buy on e-bay to try to get a better deal. Would my search criteria be SDRAM? Then pick the size I want?

Collin, I have not forgotten that I still owe you. Been busy but will not forget it.

Old 11-18-2003, 01:00 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Ben is right that the motherboard can sometimes handle different sizes of RAM strips, but I'm betting that as old as yours is (judging from the 64mb currently installed) that it will need a matching pair. I believe that versions of Windows that aren't built on the NT architecture (i.e., Windows 98) require matching pairs, even if the motherboard and BIOS can deal with unmatched pairs. I agree that Crucial is a great place to get memory. I use them to get the specs for the RAM I need, then I shop around. Pricewatch.com is a good place to compare prices at different retailers.

One thing you may find is that if your computer is more than a couple of years old, the RAM it takes may be discontinued. What you'll buy is remnants from the original stock of the chips. You may find that buying RAM will quickly become more expensive than investing in a new motherboard and RAM. For that, definately take it to a computer repair shop.

If you get the RAM, you can install it yourself, no problem. Before you take the strips out of the anti-static packs, unplug the computer, open the case, and ground yourself to the power supply case (the large, metal box inside the main case). Keep yourself grounded, remove the RAM from the anti-static bag, and install it. It should only go in one way, and you should just have to give it a firm push before it clicks. If you keep yourself grounded to the power supply case and don't shuffle your feet on the carpet, you shouldn't have to worry about static.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist

Last edited by Jamey Saunders; 11-18-2003 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:09 PM
Living Legend

Thanks Jamey.

I actually have a wrist strap that I used in my days of inspecting telecommunications installations. ESD is not a problem and I am sure I can install it easily enough.

I just don't know how to find it on e-bay. The prices may be fair a Crucial but right now, they are too high for me.

I don't even know if this computer can have the motherboard replaced. Since it is in a Sony box and has Sony stuff, I am guessing that replacing stuff would be hard. I had a heck of a time replacing the CD because the one they have is molded in and uses a special drawer. I had to leave it there and add one in an expansion slot. I now wish I had a generic case so the modification would be easier.

Someday I will find a better computer but until then............

Old 11-18-2003, 01:28 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
You shouldn't have any trouble replacing the RAM. It's a pretty painless procedure. You should be able to find it on Ebay. Just mke note of the specs from Crucial, then look for that on Ebay. The one thing that I have overlooked in the past that has bitten me was the "Error Checking" parameter. If you want to give me the particulars on your computer, I'll check Ebay for RAM that should work in it.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 11-18-2003, 01:36 PM
Master

BTW Bob, how is the laptop, did it get sorted?

• Who's There?
  • Cowsgo
  • Cowsgo Who?
  • NO, Cows Go Moo!
Old 11-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Living Legend

Jamey,

The information in my book just says 32MB SDRAM, Expandable to 384 MB

I had them add another 32 when I bought it, hence the two boards.

As for other information about the computer
Sony Vaio PCV-200
233 mghz Pentium II
4.3 GB hard drive
512 KB Pipeline burst SRAM L2 cache Memory

There is nothing in the book about error checking. Other than that, I do not know what other information you need other than what it says HERE.

Colin,
The laptop is what I am using right now. It is still having problems with the monitor. The right 2" is not good. There are lines up and down and they change as the monitor is ajusted. I used to be able to make them go away by wiggling the screen, not any more. I took the laptop apart and reset the ribbon cable but it did not change anything. It just keeps getting worse. It works fine if I plug in a monitor and I have been doing that for quite a while now. I just get the feeling it is not going to be working much longer since the bad part of the screen is getting wider. This is why i am trying to get this old laptop up and running.

Sure makes a guy wish he could just go out and buy something new. Been a long time since I could do that.

I almost got a used (much faster 700 mghz or so) computer from a guy the other day in a trade for 1/2 of a giraffe leg bone but his wife did not want that leg bone laying around (she just does not get it). Bummer. I will keep looking but need to do something until I can upgrade.

Old 11-18-2003, 02:30 PM

Bob,

Here are some listings that should work based on what you gave me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14916

Hope this helps. Most of these are used, but RAM is pretty durable, and hardly ever goes bad.

Old 11-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

One thing make sure it's the correct MHZ memory chip - in a machine of that age I'll bet it's 66mhz but could be 100. If you get the wrong MHZ chips it can do bad things.
Try pulling one of the chips that's in the box now and it should give you the info you need to safely replace it.

In so far as the mb of the chip you can mix and match size of chip (ie a 64mb and 128mb) on a Win 98 machine.

Bob a suggestion though - Roger Linger (rlinger here and on bladeforums) is a computer tech and a knife maker - I'd give him a shout and see if you can't work out some kind of trade - he might even have a newer used box he might be interested in trading.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:22 AM

The specs on Bob's computer states that the memory does run at 66mHz, but my understanding (confirmed by reading some at Crucial) is that memory will run slower than it's rated, but not faster. So a 100mHz strip will underclock itself to 66mHz if necessary. It's next to impossible to find 66mHz RAM anywhere other than specialty suppliers like Crucial.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Jamey-
That's correct, but I just have never liked doing it - I have had some problems with it even though the experts say otherwise.

Bob - I'm going to go through my stash and see if I can't find you a couple or three sticks - probably be 64MB sticks, but you replace your 32MB sticks and give you some more oomph. A good option for older memory chips and such is second hand stores. I keep any eye out for older machines which often sell for only about $25.00. As Jamey said memory seldom goes bad. Just look for a machine similar to yours (a P II) as the memory is probably going to be a match. It's still a bit of a crapshoot but....

BTW - I know about money being tight - boy do I - but one of my computer customers got one of those $499.00 Dell's (they didn't need the monitor so they actually only paid $400.00) and for the money it's a nice little machine and if you figure that a new MB, CPU, and Memory will run you at least that much it's a dynamite deal.

OOPS! Almost forgot - since you've got such a small hardrive this could be slowing things down. Once a hard drive (especially the smaller ones) gets over a half full it can really slow things down. Just a thought.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 11-19-2003 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Living Legend

Chuck,

Thanks for the feedback. If you have any memory I will work something out with you for a trade.

As for the hard drive, I also have a 9GB in that machine and everything is on it except windows. It only has about 3 or 4 meg used up and I defrag often. The 4.3 has windows only on it.

I do not use the computer for games and stuff so there is not much on it.

Old 11-19-2003, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Bob - don't worry about trade - I'll be glad to send you some if I have them to send. Got a friend that has several old puters too and I'm going over there Saturday so I'll check his out as well - know for sure he's got a couple of P2's.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Tags
forge, knife