MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 04-16-2004, 12:57 AM
Steel Addict

Maybe I'm strange..

You know this is kinda a personal problem I have and maybe I'm just strange.

I have been making knives for about 2 yrs now. I have never posted one knife here on the forum.(besides my very first and it sucked badly)

Matter of fact.. outside my immediate friends and family. Nobody has ever really seen any of them.

The problem is... how do I know they are good enough to sell.

I am scared to show them..especially to knife makers and such experts because I know they will be comparing them to knives that are obviously better.
I see the knives being posted in the display case and know that most of my knives don't hold a candle to those.

I don't have money to make them out of expensive metal or exotic materials. I work mostly with 1095 steel and wood handles... some brass guards and bolsters. I realize that there isn't much of a market for my type of knives... the custom knife market seems to belong to those that make knives that are stainless or damascus steel, with fancy bolsters, and exotic stag/bone/horn/etc.. handles.

In EVERY knife I make I see small problems.. I have yet to make one that didn't have something about it I don't like. Either the grind line isn't great..or the finish didn't come out perfect. Or the handle isn't exactly what I wanted... something.

My friends that have seen my knives think they are great... but they wouldn't know a great knife from a production knife out of Pakistan.

I work weekends and don't have money to go to knife shows outside of Austin (where I live) and as far as I know there is only one custom knife show in Austin once a year.
I would be afraid to show my knives amoung so many other custom knife makers.. because my paranoia would set in and I just know someone would tell me.. 'to let them show me how it is really done' or 'why don't you come back when you have some real knives made'.. etc.

This would kill me. I'd probably crawl off in a corner and just die.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:07 AM
Master

I guarentee nobody here will say anything like that, though if you still feel nervous you could post them in the newbies area a little further down.

Last edited by AwP; 04-16-2004 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:50 AM
Steel Addict

Good grief man, show your stuff!!. Making crap hasn't slowed me down from showing it off

Nobody will chastise your work. I always try to find something I like about every knife I see. If a knife is really bad I'll just say ooohh it's all metally and stuff.

Mark

Old 04-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Living Legend

Send a message via ICQ to BrB Send a message via MSN to BrB
Acctualy I have never seen anybody in this forum ever say something rude about someone's knife. The only time I saw such thing was when people were posting pictures of kit knives trying to make them pass as total custom. Besides that... constructive criticism are the words of order here. Posting pictures of your knives and asking for honest opinions can help you more than you imagine. Sharing is a great experience... you can try either the Display Case or the Outpost, I guess in both places you will have a very warm wellcome. And there is nothing wrong with brass and wood, it is your craft that matters (I bet Jerry Fisk can sell brass and wood knives fine LOL) and showing your knives and listening to what this fine group of makers and collectors have to say about it will definely improve your craftmanship.

I hope to see you posting pics soon man.

Cheers!

-------------------------------------------
Pesquise posts antigos antes de perguntar:
Use CKD Search
? mais r?pido e f?cil!
Old 04-16-2004, 07:37 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

show 'em off

If you wait for the perfect knife before you sell them, you won't sell many.
Every one of us here could say the same thing.
Do your best and keep going, that's how you get better.
Show them to other makers so they can help you to make them better.Ask for critiques, you'll be amazed at the info that will come your way.All to help YOU get better.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Steel Addict

Show em is right! That perfect knife is pretty elusive...I haven't found one on my bench yet. The feedback you get may help you see things that you missed....so the next knife is better. People here are not mean and can really help you get better.

I'm just down the road from Ausin in Dripping Springs. Come by sometime and we'll talk knives!

Old 04-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

It is remotely possible that you could run into some jerk who might say something bad about your knives, but so what? He is, after all, just a jerk so what does he know? The only person you should be trying to please with your knife making skills is you. If you like your knives, so will other people.

It doesn't matter how perfect your knives get there will always be someone who isn't swept away by them. That's OK, different strokes for different folks. There will also be a lot of people who do like them.

Noting wrong with carbon steel and brass either. What do you think all those expensive Ed Fowler knives are made from?

Get busy, get in somebody's face with those knives....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Skilled

I've been building knives about the same amount of time you have, and boy, do I feel your pain.

While I've made some beauties, and sold quite a few, there isn't a single one of them that I didn't see some small thing wrong -- something that I would change if I could go back and do it all over again. Surprisingly, very few people ever see these flaws, even other knifemakers. Like you, almost everybody I've shown them to think they're great.

Did you know Navaho women weave intentional flaws into their blankets and rugs, believing that perfection is reserved for the Great Spirit?

In the end, the only way you'll know is to start showing your knives, here, and at that annual Austin knife show. Take one or two with you and show them to some of the makers there. I think you'll find they will be kinder and more helpful than you fear.

-Frank J Warner

Old 04-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Steel Addict

Nobody can make a perfect knife. Nobody.

Post them pics.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Skilled

If you get any response it will be encouragement and pointers to help you make better knives.Just remember that each knife gets better because your learning.

NT screaming gamecock Gann
Old 04-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Skilled

I think you are only hurting yourself by not showing your work to "knife" people. Thats how you learn. I'm working on my second knife, after I learned a whole lot with my first, by showing it and talking to as many people as possible. I am my own worst crittic, just keep striving to do you best, and accept ALL comments (good & bad), especially from the people on this forum.

Jeremy

Old 04-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Master

poste em!
you might have someone say something bad about them but dont let it bother you. if its creative criticism then it will just help you, if they are just being a jerk then screw em.
i think most of us have been in your place at one time or another. i know i was scared to death to do my first knife show! i was afraid nobody would buy anything and i would be crestfallen...you know what happened? nobody bought anything and i was crestfallen. after being depressed for a bit i decided to just keep making knives because i enjoyed doing it, if i didnt sell any so be it. my next knife show i attended i brought the same batch of knives, same prices and sold half the table. everyone has their own opinion of what a good knife is, some may hate a design some may love it.
i dont believe the custom scene belongs to people working the exotics but i can see wher one would believe so because of the media. for many of us our bread and butter knives are basic models with "plain" materials. you just tend to see more of the exotics because they are exactly that...exotic. people tend to want to see and show off knives that arent everyday knives. the expensive damascus, mokumes, pearls, etc are eye candy. we like to look at eyecandy in any field, not just knives so thats whats shown off the most. ask to see someone carrying knife and 9 out of 10 times i bet its a "plain" style knife.
i used to work 100% high alloyed steel....now out of the last 45 blades ive ground about 25 were 1095, 10 were O1, 6 were ats-34, and 4 were damascus. (although 1095 is new to me, im experimenting)
as long as your knife functions good then u have nothing to worry about! post em!

-Jason Aube
Old 04-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Master

also i think every maker sees something wrong in their knives...its the constant striving that keeps us improving. a maker who finds nothing he could do better with his knives is stagnate and will never get better. like its been said, thers no perfect knife!

-Jason Aube
Old 04-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
I don't have money to make them out of expensive metal or exotic materials. I work mostly with 1095 steel and wood handles... some brass guards and bolsters.
Pics Bubba Pics Notin is wrong with what you are using

Old 04-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

I agree with what has been said so far, post your pictures!! Let us all share in what YOU have to offer.

You know, I've had the opportunity to handle some knives made by some of the best known makers in the country, and let me tell you, there are mistakes on their knives as well. I was actually very surprised at the number of mistakes I saw, and that served two purposes for me, it showed me that maybe I was placing too high of an expectation on my work for being such a newbie, and it also showed me that perfection is ALWAYS just out of reach, no matter how good you are.

Also, the fact that they make "high quality" knives now, doesn't necessarily mean that they made that same quality of knife when they first started out. Think about it, if you start out at the top, where have you got to go but down, starting at the bottom, you have no where to go but UP. The sky is the limit, and you are limited only by your desire to learn and to do better with each knife you make.

It's all a learning process, and the best way to learn is to let others see your work, and ask for their advice on ways of improving it.

The folks on this board are wonderful and they are extremely helpful, take advantage of that and use it wisely. . . you WILL be the winner!!

Good Luck,
-Mr Mike

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Tags
forge, knife, knife making, knives